just went to secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Reaction score
first time brewer...got a kit to make a bavarian weizen....kit said to transfer to carboy in 2-3 days so i racked it after 2 1/2 days and found wort to be brown in color ......i hope that is normal...kit also said it will be ready to bottle in 7-10 days....does that sound ok.......luke

It sounds way too rushed, as most kit instructions are. I don't even think about racking into secondary prior to 10 days in primary, and won't bottle a beer that's less than 3 weeks old total. It will probably be okay, but since it was racked so early I would leave it in the secondary fermenter for two weeks at the very least before bottling it, to make sure it finishes up.

Welcome to HBT! Those instructions are common but not in your best interest unless you are just wanting something to swill quickly. Good beer takes a little time but it's worth it! Please leave your beer a more couple weeks before you bottle because I like you already and don't want you hurt by bottle bombs. Bottle bombs happen when beer is bottled too soon and is not finished.

Now, on to your question. Extract brews tend to come out quite a bit darker than what you might buy in a bottle. This is more true if you use liquid extract instead of dry malt extract because the sugars are more caramelized. There are some ways around this like late extract addition. But you will always have darker beer using extract than making it from all grain.

Also, bulk beer in the primary always looks much darker than it really is. Add that to the fact that it is fermenting with hops and proteins floating around and you have dark looking beer. Once the beer has a chance to clear and is bottled up, it will look lighter.

I have to agree that more aging will help the beer. My hefe-weizens spend two weeks in primary then go to the bottle.

I have to disagree that all-grain beers will "always" be lighter than their extract counterparts. If you mix your extract well and add the majority of it later in the boil, you will have beer every bit as light as an all-grain batch. I didn't believe this until I visited my parents for Christmas. I'd given a bottle of my Belgian Blond to my mom to take to a co-worker. It'd sat in her fridge for two weeks and she told me to go ahead and drink it. It was the color of Budweiser. For those that have not seen this beer :D it was straw to golden in color.

Back