Stainless or Aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownsbrew

Reaction score
I would love to hear a couple of seasoned homebrewers slug it out over the subject. I am looking into getting a new brew pot and I have found a pretty good deal on a aluminum pot. I've heard stainless distributes heat better but it would be sweet if I could get some of your thoughts.

I have never used aluminum for beer but i have used it for different things ( apple butter, etc..) and i can tell you it leaves a distinct metal flavor you most likely wouldn't want in your beer. I would go with either stainless steel or copper.

Aloomhanum FTW!

I have an aluminum 7 gal HLT and 15 gal kettle. Better heat conductivity, cheaper, and lighter. No taste that I can notice, and all you need to do is oxidize it as in the FAQ (as easy as boiling water) and not use harsh chemicals on it. I personally use no chemicals at all, just a thorough rinse and wipe down with a washcloth.

While I love SS, I've been using the Aluminum pot that came with my Bayou Classic 30 qt. turkey kit for all my AG batches and I haven't tasted any metallic flavors yet. I did do a test boil in the pot with a couple ounces of white vinegar in the water when I first bought it, to season it a bit. When I buy a bigger replacement I plan on getting another aluminum one simply because of the cost.

I have never used aluminum for beer but i have used it for different things ( apple butter, etc..) and i can tell you it leaves a distinct metal flavor you most likely wouldn't want in your beer. I would go with either stainless steel or copper.

Aluminum will not empart any flavor whatsoever to your beer, many brewers use them. I personally used one for a year before I built my keggle. That being said, dont use a new SHINEY kettle... boil some water in it first to assure there is a small layer of oxidation as a little insurance. They work great, conduct heat ALOT better (read quicker heating and cooling) than SS and are much cheaper unless you can get a deal on a SS Sankey.

Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

I've used both and the only reason I went from aluminum is that I now have keggles that allow me to brew without the risk of boil over. I noticed NO difference in taste going from aluminum to SS. If I could get an aluminum keggle I'd switch back in a heartbeat from a weight aspect.

Hi.

As far as I know aluminum causes Alzhaimer's disease ...
Alzheimer's Again Linked To Aluminum
:mug:

Id say, um, no. Brewing in an AL kettle witll not cause you to suffer from Alzhaimers. This has been beaten to death... using AL is safe, healthy etc. Dead Horse, beaten. Do you take antacids? Are you all of a sudden feeling forgetful? AL is safe, lets talk about dry vs liquid yeast. Oh yeah, we have 100 threads on that too, search it. :rockin:

Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Posted twice only by mistake as I saw in the last moment I can use the option to post using icons and extras.
After that I wanted to delete the first post, but there's no such option in the forum's interface.

:mug::mug::mug:.

Yeah, you have to be a paying member to do that.

Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

By the way I've seen old aluminum kettles with the bottoms eaten from corrosion.
The corrosion marks were up to 1/8" deep.
I wonder where has all the final product from the corrosion gone?
At least this wouldn't have happened with SS.

By the way I've seen old aluminum kettles with the bottoms eaten from corrosion.
The corrosion marks were up to 1/8" deep.
I wonder where has all the final product from the corrosion gone?
At least this wouldn't have happened with SS.

Yup, that is what happens when you dont care for a pot... I use SS now, simply because it was not possible to find a 15 gallon AL kettle. But I did use AL as long as I could. It is A LOT lighter obviously and conducts heat alot better meaning faster heating and faster cooling... if I could get an AL 15 gallon kettle, Id use it.

Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Wash it with water and dry it with a cloth, a towel if you will. That is how I cared for mine and after three years there was no sign of corrosion. Id say, water and a towel is what you need.

Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Hi.

As far as I know aluminum causes Alzhaimer's disease ...
Alzheimer's Again Linked To Aluminum

Please, people, let's put this to rest. Aluminum does NOT cause Alzheimer's. As you can see from my name, this is my field. I have been doing research on dementia for years and treat it daily. If aluminum caused Alzheimer's, we'd all have it.

Alcohol causes WAY more brain damage, but I'm not stopping that, either.

There can be corrosion with aluminum if you store your immersion chiller in it due to galvanic corrosion, so... don't store your copper immersion chiller in contact with the aluminum.

P.S. I tried to stop this aluminum vs. stainless debate before it blew up again

I had a concern about putting valves on my aluminum pots because of the corrosion issue. In the end I wrapped the iron pipe in plenty of teflon tape and threaded it in. Thus far I've had no leaks so it looks like the tape is providing a barrier. As for the SS vs. Al debate, both my 20 gallon pots are aluminum and I don't get any tastes from them. These pots are about 3/8 inch thick so if it were made of steel, I'd have trouble lifting them.

There are pictures in my gallery if anyone is interested.

There can be corrosion with aluminum if you store your immersion chiller in it due to galvanic corrosion, so... don't store your copper immersion chiller in contact with the aluminum.

For galvanic corrosion, you still need an solution to act as an electrolyte. If you store the pot dry you shouldn't have a problem. As homebrewers we don't use the hardware anywhere near frequently enough so that the pot/weldless fittings/chiller would have enough time in contact with the wort to undergo galvanic corrosion.

Back