Thinking about brew number 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie123

Reaction score
Ok so I've been thinking about my next brew. Going for another Coopers kit brew. The Smooth English Bitter. Just thought I'd ask what people thought of the recipe.

1.7Kg Coopers English Bitter
1Kg Brew enhancer 1
200g Molasses

I am a big fan of bitters, and British Ales in general.

Brew Enhancer? Is that dry extract? I hope that is not sugar. Not that sugar in an English ale is bad or even out of style. But that is A LOT, especially in conjunction with the molasses.

Counting that it is extract, it looks like you have the bases for a decent simple best bitter. Molasses can easily be overdone, but being in the kit they likely have it dialed in. And that amount is on par with a good amount in 5 gallons. What is the yeast and hops? They will make it a bitter as much as, actually more so, then the fermentables profile.

Keep the carbonation low and serve cool, not cold, to be "authentic".

The brew enhancer is coopers brew enhancer #1 which I think has 600g dextrose and 400g of maltodextrin.

This was a recipe I got from the coopers site. It has the standard Coopers yeast but if there's something better I'm happy to change.

The recipe also doesn't call for any extra hops but any suggestion on improving this basic recipe would be great.

Back