Shortage Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdogchip

Reaction score
I just bottled my second batch. With the first bottling, I was only able to fill 24 of the 22oz. size. The same happened on my second batch. If my math is correct...5 gallons of beer should produce 29 of the 22oz. bottles. How am I ending up so short??? That's 110oz short!!! What can I do to correct this? Add 1/2 gallon more water to the fermenter, or will this water down the flavor. Suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. I searched "Palmer and Papazian" for some answers. No help
Thanks,
Skip

chances are you lost some beer during transfers or your initial volume may have been a bit low as well. You can adjust your recipe to make 5.5 gallon batches so that you end up with 5 gallons to bottle. Don't just add water after the fact since it will just water down the beer.

You always have some volume loss every time you rack the beer, it's just the nature of the beast. Most people account for this by scaling up their recipes slightly. I do 23L batches for example but I actually produce 25L batches so that I end up with 23L in the end.

You do need to scale up your recipe however, not just add more water (unless you don't mind it being a little less gravity and flavour).

...I was just going to say this sounded like a personal problem...

It's not the size of the bottle though right, it's whats in it that counts...

Back