how long to age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferym09

Reaction score
ive got a dark seasonal with ginger, cinnamon, and orange honey. Im guessing the SRM is somewhere between 33 and 36. OG was 1.071, dunno what it is right now, but it's been in primary for about 2 weeks now. I didnt rack it to secondary becuase there is very little trub.

I know darker beers should be aged a little longer, right about now is when i would bottle most of my brews assuming the FG has been reached. Should it be aged longer because its higher SRM and slightly higher ABV?

Since you're dealing with stout level gravities, I would transfer to a secondary for at least another 2 weeks. Then bottle. That's just my opinion though, I'm sure you'll get plenty more

Bottle when the gravity readings tell you it is time to bottle. Bigger beers do take more time and bottle bombs suck.

I don't think aging has got to do with colour. For me it is always about how complex the beer is and how much ABV we are dealing with.

For an OG of 71, it borders on the high side. And with the spices in there I will expect it to have a rather complex taste profile. This will benefit from extended aging. Aging can be done in bottles, no problems. So you can go ahead and bottle if the FG has been hit. I don't do secondaries because I believe that aging is aging and doesn't matter if it takes place in a carboy or bottles but if you want extended aging in the secondary, it is fine too.

someone told me that extended aging is better in carboys rather than bottles becuase it makes all the flavor blend together better as whole. like instead of having a cinnamon hit with a ginger and honey aftertaste, it just blends all the flavors together.

i dont really worry about bottle bombs that much becuase i test bottles one week after bottling to see its its going nuts. If it is i just refrigerate the rest of them to stop the carbonation.

But so far im not too anxious to bottle this one, it wouldnt bug me to let it sit for another few weeks

Personally I prefer to bulk condition my beer like that in secondary with very little head space for 4 weeks after FG.

My holiday ale is similar and I have found the flavor profile to benefit from this process and it really tastes great!

Back