Question on Pliny the Elder clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plinythelderphan

Reaction score
This comes from Russian River's Vinny Cilurzo as it appeared in the magazine Best of Brew 150 clones.

Forgive me, I'm new so if this is a dumb question-fire away!

In the recipe, which has been posted amidst these forums as well, they call for the use of 1 lb dextrose but don't articulate where that goes. It is listed after the malts, I'm assuming it is to be part of the steep? The remaining ingredients are not surprisingly all hops!

The recipe obviously calls for priming sugar later in the batch, there is no other recipe that I found that called for the use of dextrose in it, so I wasn't able to interpret it that way.

Has anyone brewed this particular clone? Unless I move to Santa Rosa, I can only count on a few bottles per year, so I'll need to brew my own!

Thanks for your guidance.

Add it with about 5 minutes to go in the boil. Anywhere between 15-5 minutes you'll be good. Some will also say you can do it at the beginning. Up to you, but 15-5 minutes :)

I used to add sugar additions at the 15 minute mark, but lately I've been pitching it at high krausen after boiling it briefly into a syrup and cooling it down. I find that this method has given me consistently lower OG's than the same exact recipes I have brewed with sugar in the boil. I assume it is because the yeast have a chance to work on the maltose first, then get excited by the glucose (corn sugar) and kick into another gear. A lot of folks add it to the boil, or at flameout for an OG adjustment after reading their refractometer. Choose your path.

Yes, Vinnie said he is adding a little Amarillo in the dry hop. He said it's in addition to what was already there; they didn't remove any hops, just added a little amarillo.

I'd do a 1/4oz in the first dry hop, and another 1/4oz in the second of Amarillo.

Any ideas on the amounts of water? There are no references anywhere to the amount of water used in the steep and the boil.

Any ideas on the amounts of water? There are no references anywhere to the amount of water used in the steep and the boil.

Mash at 1.25 quarts per lb of grain and sparge enough water to collect about 8 gallons pre-boil to have enough left after a 90 minute boil and accounting for a huge amount of trub from all the hops to net 5 to 5.5 gallons into the fermenter. It's really different for everyone's equipment and you may find that you need to run off more or less for your system.

Beersmith helps a lot with doing the math for you.

FWIW, I listened to Vinny in a 2010 interview say that the "clone" recipes he's given out for PtE are not precisely clones, but intended as a base for a really good IPA. Anybody done a side-by-side?

I did a side-by-side with some bottles I brought home from a trip to San Diego and my version of the clone I got from a Zymurgy article (fyi, sugar added at 15 min). It was really close, but it wasn't totally cloned. They were both excellent beers with great hop flavor and aroma...very resinous! With a beer that good I didn't mind it not being 100% cloned. I will brew it again, and again, and again!

Back