Bubbles in the airlock! (skeeterpee question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tw0fish

Reaction score
You know how the lack of bubbles traveling out of the airlock doesn't mean a ferment isn't done?

Is the opposite true as well - that bubbles in the airlock mean the ferment definitely isn't finished?

It's been warm and cold up here, though the house temp hasn't varied much.. but I'm getting onto week 8 with my skeeterpee must and I admit I'm getting impatient :)

Unless you disturbed the must in some way as to get CO2 to come out of solution, I'd say it's still fermenting. You can always take a gravity reading to see where you're at.

You can also get activity with temperature or atmospheric pressure changes. If you are cold stabilizing your batch and you bring it back to room temp, you'll see regular bubbling until the batch warms up. In fact, if you have a really cold batch and you fill the carboy up near the top and then you warm the wine up, it'll actually overflow as the liquid volume expands.

Dissolved CO2, if present, will usually slowly bleed off. Airlock activity will be really slow, but over the course of months, your batch will work to naturally degas itself. Similar to a glass of Coke left out on the counter for several days.

Back