Newb in Rock Hill SC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiboEstVivo

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have just completed my first two batches on 1/8. I did a honey wheat ale, and a boston stock ale. I made a starter the day before and pitched it after 20 hours. the next morning both batches were bubbling happily. Exciting! I am a little concerned about the stock ale. I heated the grains in a bag in the wort at about 190 degrees for 45 minutes before removing. I read online not to heat the grains to more than 185 or it releases tanins and can effect the flavor. I added a cup of honey in addition to the recipe to the stock ale, and 2 cups in addition to the honey wheat.

I plan on using secondary for both, and was considering cooling both second stage carboys outside after 4 or 5 days and adding gelatin before bottling. Anyone have a any thoughts or suggestions on these plans?

I am also interested in making a couple of 1 gallon batches of simple honey mead, and was wondering if anyone had much experience with these.

Here is a picture of my first batch (Boston Stock Ale)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26438433@N02/5343952849/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26438433@N02/5343929091/in/photostream/

Hello everyone.
I have just completed my first two batches on 1/8. I did a honey wheat ale, and a boston stock ale. I made a starter the day before and pitched it after 20 hours. the next morning both batches were bubbling happily. Exciting! I am a little concerned about the stock ale. I heated the grains in a bag in the wort at about 190 degrees for 45 minutes before removing. I read online not to heat the grains to more than 185 or it releases tanins and can effect the flavor. I added a cup of honey in addition to the recipe to the stock ale, and 2 cups in addition to the honey wheat.

I plan on using secondary for both, and was considering cooling both second stage carboys outside after 4 or 5 days and adding gelatin before bottling. Anyone have a any thoughts or suggestions on these plans?

I am also interested in making a couple of 1 gallon batches of simple honey mead, and was wondering if anyone had much experience with these.

Here is a picture of my first batch (Boston Stock Ale)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26438433@N02/5343952849/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26438433@N02/5343929091/in/photostream/

Welcome to HBT! Congrats on your first beer!

You should be able to cold crash outside this time of year. Just be sure to do it inside a shed or garage so no light can spoil your brew. Don't let it freeze. I wouldn't bother with the gelatin unless the beer really needs it. Most of the time it will clear just fine on it's own.

Hey Neighbor! I'm a noob here in Rock Hill also. I just did my first batch on New Years Day and it's still chugging along!

Maybe we'll catch up sometime.

Hey Neighbor! I'm a noob here in Rock Hill also. I just did my first batch on New Years Day and it's still chugging along!

Maybe we'll catch up sometime.

Wow it's a small world started my 1st batch on new years day also, and might be moving to Rock Hill.

Welcome neighbors!

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Rustym, BODWB, its good to know there are others in the area getting into brewing. I live in an apartment near the galleria mall, but luckily i have a spare bathroom that i have taken over as my "brewery". Where do you guys brew?

Awesome! Nice to meet you guys! I live off of 901 in a small neighborhood. I brewed in my garage. It was great and New Years day was a perfect day for it. It was overcast and fairly warm. My son, who lives in Charlotte was here and helped me.

Maybe when the weather starts getting nice we can have a brew get together and sample some as well.

All over the house wherever there is a spot for it....lol Even got some brew inside the central air service area....bathroom, living room corner, kitchen pantry.. attic space and outdoor utility room.

Back