Low Wheat Malt Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddylars

Reaction score
I'm been getting pretty low efficiencies with the two Hefe's that I brew. I'm brewing an "Imperial Dunkel" (43% Weyermann Wheat Malt) and getting about 63% and a regular hefe (60% Wheat malt) where I'm getting 60% pretty consistently. I'm brewing the Imperial Hefe today, I tried adding some 5.2 to the mash, but that didn't seem to help with anything. I've tried a finer grind, but that didn't seem to do much. Any advice on what to try next? Protein rest? Thanks a lot!

are you using malted or unmalted wheat? At any rate, one of the things I've always done w/ any wheat beers is to do a protein rest a 122degF. This helps significantly at getting at those undermodified proteins etc. This months zymurgy also noted that a step mash is pivotal w/ wheat beers... they say to get true flavor, Do an infusion mash... too much work for me :p

What's the OG on the imperial batch? Usually, efficiency is lower on them because you can't sparge as much.

My target is 86, but I've been getting around 70, for a 10-gal batch I do a 10.0 mash and a 8.5 sparge. I realize my mash water is pretty high, that keeps it nice and workable with all that wheat (and other grain) I could try 9.5 gal, but I wouldn't want to use any less mash water than that... Ill give a protein rest a try next time. What about some amylase enzyme during the mash?

Back