Tapping into natural gas line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schumed

Reaction score
I'm considering tapping into my natural gas lining and running a line to the outside for my burners and grill.

I'm just constantly going through propane between grilling and brewing

Anybody have any tips on doing this?

This is what I have in my head

Shut of gas
Cut line and intall a T
Run line to wall drill a hole
Attach a shut off valve and a a conversion kit.
Seal the hole

the location of my line will be very easy to accomplish this just concerned about leaks and how to make sure its safe.

Is a plumber someone I should consult with?

There's a difference between propane and natural gas...

Something about needing to drill differenct sized orifices, or something; I don't understand it so I haven't pursued it...

Natural gas needs a larger orifice on your burners since it is at a lower pressure. Do a search for Natural Gas Conversion you will find alot of topics. I have been wanting to convert my burners since I have NG hookups in the garage and back deck, I've just been too scared to ruin them or blow my house up or something.

I grill and brew with natural gas. It is a dream come true. My father in law is a plumber, but he did exactly what you described. As long as you use proper pipe, and put the white sealant on the threads, then test for leaks, it should be fine. Of course you could pay a pro about $300 to do it for piece of mind.

I grill and brew with natural gas. It is a dream come true. My father in law is a plumber, but he did exactly what you described. As long as you use proper pipe, and put the white sealant on the threads, then test for leaks, it should be fine. Of course you could pay a pro about $300 to do it for piece of mind.

Plumber is required unless you know what you are doing.

I'm getting a natty gas furnace installed in a couple weeks (replacing our old oil burner), and the guy who's doing the install has done several jobs for homebrewers, hooking up big-ass natural gas stoves in their basements and whathaveyou. I'm TEMPTED, DAMMIT!

Don't even think about ****ing around with gas unless you know what you're doing.

Based on the rest of your post and what you "think" you should be doing, you damn well better call a friggin plumber before you blow your ass up.

it's as simple as using gas rated teflon tape,(yellow roll) or pipe thread compound for gas lines and some black pipe, after all connections have been made and your ready to turn the gas on, get some really soapy water and turn the gas on and put it around the fittings and check for bubbles which would mean a leak, if not bubblles your good to go.

If your house gas lines are black pipe dont cut them, if you cut the black pipe youd need to rethread it to attatch a "t". Find an elbow in an area close to where your protrusion to the outside will be and place a t there instead of the elbow. If its the yellow gas line im assuming, just cut it, install the recomended t for that line and run it outside , check for leaks and your done.... remember, natural gas is low pressure so its pretty easy to get the fittings to be leak free. Dont let this guy scare you away from diy'ing it.

And for the teflon tape naysayers, if the yellow teflon(double density) wasnt rated for natural gas they wouldnt be able to list it on the packaging, that would be like putting a label on a can of gasoline stating "nonflammable"

thanks for the advice....ive got the yellow piping since it's new construction.

I will ask a friend who is a plumber to be there when I do this to check for leaks

it's as simple as using gas rated teflon tape,(yellow roll) and some black pipe, after all connections have been made and your ready to turn the gas on, get some really soapy water and turn the gas on and put it around the fittings and check for bubbles which would mean a leak, if not bubblles your good to go.

If your house gas lines are black pipe dont cut them, if you cut the black pipe youd need to rethread it to attatch a "t". Find an elbow in an area close to where your protrusion to the outside will be and place a t there instead of the elbow. If its the yellow gas line im assuming, just cut it, install the recomended t for that line and run it outside , check for leaks and your done.... remember, natural gas is low pressure so its pretty easy to get the fittings to be leak free. Dont let this guy scare you away from diy'ing it.

Not to mention, even if the gas is off it is not a good idea to be cutting the pipes with gas in them.

One problem with this project for DIY'ers, once you remove the union and try to fit a tee in the line the pipes will all have to be custom cut to fit everything back the way it was. HD or lowes can do this but you better know how to measure pipe with threads to get it to fit correctly. It's a lot easier if you have a pipe threader on site.

I've never seen an "elbow tee" only straight tee's...

uhhh, you know that if your house blows up, you are out the full sticker price, RIGHT?

You don't need to call a plumber, as long as you live somewhere else, and can pay cash for your next house.

Not to mention, even if the gas is off it is not a good idea to be cutting the pipes with gas in them.

One problem with this project for DIY'ers, once you remove the union and try to fit a tee in the line the pipes will all have to be custom cut to fit everything back the way it was. HD or lowes can do this but you better know how to measure pipe with threads to get it to fit correctly. It's a lot easier if you have a pipe threader on site.

I've never seen an "elbow tee" only straight tee's...

i meant replace the elbow with a "t" , no cutting of the black pipe this way and you have an "outlet" for your gas line to your grill/brew stand

As long as you are doing this project, have your plumber friend check to make sure the yellow flex has been properly grounded. It is/was a big deal with lightning strikes.

Bingo. A lot of trips back and forth to the local box store to have pipes threaded and a general risk of dangerous consequences for stupidity or inexperience. I have done enough gas piping to know it's not a great DIY task even if you are generally comfortable with such things. I still do it if I have to, but avoid it if possible.

thanks for the advice....ive got the yellow piping since it's new construction.

I will ask a friend who is a plumber to be there when I do this to check for leaks

if your gas lines are yellow, you probably have CSST instead of black iron pipe. CSST isn't sold to homeowners, you won't find it at home depot and special training is needed to properly install the connectors. get a pro to do it, it's worth the extra cash for the peace of mind. and, you won't void your homeowner's insurance if you do have a fire.....

if your gas lines are yellow, you probably have CSST instead of black iron pipe. CSST isn't sold to homeowners, you won't find it at home depot and special training is needed to properly install the connectors. get a pro to do it, it's worth the extra cash for the peace of mind. and, you won't void your homeowner's insurance if you do have a fire.....

That is exactly the BS that my former plumber told me. You can find it all over EBAY as well as many supply houses that will sell it to you. I'd hire a plumber, but I get a bit crazy watching how fast he installs it and how much I had to pay! I bet that special training course lasted months. :)

Bingo. A lot of trips back and forth to the local box store to have pipes threaded and a general risk of dangerous consequences for stupidity or inexperience. I have done enough gas piping to know it's not a great DIY task even if you are generally comfortable with such things. I still do it if I have to, but avoid it if possible.

Everyone makes it sound like it's a project for NASA only, it's low pressure tapered thread black pipe get over it's all basic piping.

I've repiped my current four houses, 1905, 1913, 1930 plus 1936 with black pipe this was no worse than daily pipe cutting and threading as a electrician most of my 29 years industrial work. With my Ridgid Tri-Vice, Ridgid 700 power head with dies 1/2" to 2", bandsaws, pipe cutters plus pipe reamers and oil pot.
Hell my city inspector approves my work even without permits.
Seems mechanical as well common sense is not taught these days, rather sad to just pay.

Everyone makes it sound like it's a project for NASA only, it's low pressure tapered thread black pipe get over it's all basic piping.

I've repiped my current four houses, 1905, 1913, 1930 plus 1936 with black pipe this was no worse than daily pipe cutting and threading as a electrician most of my 29 years industrial work. With my Ridgid Tri-Vice, Ridgid 700 power head with dies 1/2" to 2", bandsaws, pipe cutters plus pipe reamers and oil pot.
Hell my city inspector approves my work even without permits.
Seems mechanical as well common sense is not taught these days, rather sad to just pay.

Average guy wants to install 10' of gas line, can he get all that equipment for the $250 - $300 a plumber will charge? Don't think so. Most people don't have four houses nor 29 years of industrial work experience.

I have a finance/accounting background, don't have any of that equipment but have installed gas line, electric circuits, etc. It isn't rocket science, just requires research, patience and care. But it isn't for everyone to do.

Average guy wants to install 10' of gas line, can he get all that equipment for the $250 - $300 a plumber will charge? Don't think so. Most people don't have four houses nor 29 years of industrial work experience.

I have a finance/accounting background, don't have any of that equipment but have installed gas line, electric circuits, etc. It isn't rocket science, just requires research, patience and care. But it isn't for everyone to do.

of course he can for under $100, especially being csst line, easy as pie

ummm yes it is, its sold at every big box store in my area... i have my water heater and my furnace plumbed with this and i bought it from menards in omaha nebraska, no liscence, no i.d., no super secret training....

in fact here are there prices for ccst line
menards council bluffs iowa 712-366-7905 direct line to plumbing
yellow csst gas line
3/4
25' $65
75' $170
225' $460

and a bajillion online vendors as well.... so i do believe homeowners can buy this

Next id like to find a plumber that will come out and do this isntallation for $200 or $300...... it would be in the realm of $600+ with the cost of materials, and cost of paying his salary, overhead, insurance, transportation, etc..... a plumber wont step foot on any plumbing job for $200.... you cant even get rotorooter to unclog a drain for $200............ maybe if its a friend of a friend or a family member you might.....

I did a project to add an outlet for a natural gas drier that we had just purchased. It really is easy. My home had the black iron pipes. You just unscrew them at a logical point in the run, add in your tee, and its all good. You do have to unscrew all the line down stream from where ever you decide to add your tee, so choose the location for the new tee carefully to minimize this. There is some special pipe goop that I used, and then the leak check. The hardest part was relighting the hot water heater pilot. You'll be fine. Really. I had never done that before, and it turned out great.

.... you cant even get rotorooter to unclog a drain for $200............ maybe if its a friend of a friend or a family member you might.....

samc, yeah i'm out of pocket $100 as I replaced three sizes of dull dies.

The power head with Sq. drive has powered the digger for digging wells another money making side job.

As a landlord any tool is a tax writeoff for the rentals like the powered drain cleaner purchased over 25 years ago has paid for itself many times over. Never paid those high RotoRooter prices.

Ridgid 700 power head ($1,100), Ridgid Tri-Vice ($389), oil pot ($200), box of dies ($940) all ordered removed legally. At 100% free for my services with the company cutting torch removing equipment chained up deliberately blocking a loading dock. This contractor had burned the owner of a chain of grocery stores. By court order plus the attorney present I burned free plus removed items told "take it all away it's all yours". A money maker over the years.

I did a project to add an outlet for a natural gas drier that we had just purchased. It really is easy...

(Plumber here) It may be easy, but like someone else said, the stakes are high. Another thing to consider is that adding anything to your gas line will take gas away from other appliances. Yes, I know, you probably will not be brewing while someone else is taking a shower and the furnace is on, but inspectors don't care about that. The lines have to be sized so that all the appliances can run simultaneously. You might be required to have it done to code when you sell your house.

BTW I once put gas into a homebrewer's garage. An inexperienced driver had driven her car through his garage door and out the side wall. She took out his gas meter and hose bibb (a.k.a. spigot, a.k.a. outside faucet). I replaced the gas line going to his attic. I added a 1" Tee fitting and put a gas valve in his garage. Now he can hook up a flexible hose and brew in his driveway off the house supply, rather than buying propane. (the driver destroyed both his brew rigs, so may as well rebuild with natural gas). I also added a hose bibb at shoulder level in his garage for washing pots and pans. His insurance company paid for the work. I threw in those two extras for free. So...just wait for someone to drive through your wall and then call a friendly plumber :D

(Plumber here) It may be easy, but like someone else said, the stakes are high. Another thing to consider is that adding anything to your gas line will take gas away from other appliances. Yes, I know, you probably will not be brewing while someone else is taking a shower and the furnace is on, but inspectors don't care about that. The lines have to be sized so that all the appliances can run simultaneously. You might be required to have it done to code when you sell your house.

BTW I once put gas into a homebrewer's garage. An inexperienced driver had driven her car through his garage door and out the side wall. She took out his gas meter and hose bibb (a.k.a. spigot, a.k.a. outside faucet). I replaced the gas line going to his attic. I added a 1" Tee fitting and put a gas valve in his garage. Now he can hook up a flexible hose and brew in his driveway off the house supply, rather than buying propane. (the driver destroyed both his brew rigs, so may as well rebuild with natural gas). I also added a hose bibb at shoulder level in his garage for washing pots and pans. His insurance company paid for the work. I threw in those two extras for free. So...just wait for someone to drive through your wall and then call a friendly plumber :D

more than likely that job you did was in the $3,000+ level though since it was insurance work. The last time we used a plumber we were doing a basement finish, we needed a 36' run of gas line ran from the utility room to a new gas fireplace we installed, cost us $920 and change, all he did was splice a t, ran the line to the fireplace and made the connection, started at 7am and when we came back at 9am he was allready done and gone..... i guess we paid $350 an hour for labor, grant it this was a large plumbing company and that we did have to use a liscenced plumber to do the work since a permit was pulled and an inpection was needed for this.

I do see why people are saying that the "stakes are high", but if one can fabricate , plumb and build a brewstand more than likely they can easily run a gas line with no problem. But the ones that questions themselves when trying to cut a 2x4 then maybe a pro is in order. Thats the factor, if you have any doubts let somebody else do it

more than likely that job you did was in the $3,000+ level though since it was insurance work.

No. It was $1500. An entirely fair price, no matter who pays.

The last time we used a plumber we were doing a basement finish, we needed a 36' run of gas line ran from the utility room to a new gas fireplace we installed, cost us $920 and change, all he did was splice a t, ran the line to the fireplace and made the connection, started at 7am and when we came back at 9am he was allready done and gone..... i guess we paid $350 an hour for labor,

No. You paid $920 for the job. For that, you got someone who has the knowledge and experience to do the job right. He also had insurance. Handymen don't.

grant it this was a large plumbing company and that we did have to use a liscenced plumber to do the work since a permit was pulled and an inpection was needed for this.
No Handy man will pull a permit and get an inspection. They will not be allowed to pull a permit since they don't have a Master Plumber with insurance.

I do see why people are saying that the "stakes are high", but if one can fabricate , plumb and build a brewstand more than likely they can easily run a gas line with no problem. But the ones that questions themselves when trying to cut a 2x4 then maybe a pro is in order. Thats the factor, if you have any doubts let somebody else do it

The stakes are high. You only have to blow up a house once.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/House_explodes_in_Hyde_Park

No. It was $1500. An entirely fair price, no matter who pays.

No. You paid $920 for the job. For that, you got someone who has the knowledge and experience to do the job right. He also had insurance. Handymen don't.

No Handy man will pull a permit and get an inspection. They will not be allowed to pull a permit since they don't have a Master Plumber with insurance.

The stakes are high. You only have to blow up a house once.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/House_explodes_in_Hyde_Park

Well, some people just dont have money to pay somebody to do everything for them and do it for themself and do as good or better job than most "pro's" will do. Some act like its a certainty that if you do your own gas lines your house is going to blow up, im sure millions of people in this country have done theyre very own gas lines, heck even built their entire house from dirt to roof. Anybody can learn how to do anything, too many people on here discourage many different diy projects, just because your not a "master plumber" doesnt mean you cannot do it.... you research it, find out all aspects of doing something safely, if you have doubts than dont do it, but me, i will research and learn and will never hire any "master" anybody to work on my house, and that doesnt mean it wasnt done right... its not my responsibility to put dinner on someone elses table other than mine. The most complaining that i always hear is usually from the "master" of that trade that has been in the business for umpteen years and think theyre trade is a sacred art..... these people need to get over themself...

Yup. I totally agree. I do all of my own 'stuff' as well.

Here is "that" plumber:

Plumber%20Crack%202.jpg

Well, some people just dont have money to pay somebody to do everything for them and do it for themself and do as good or better job than most "pro's" will do. Some act like its a certainty that if you do your own gas lines your house is going to blow up, im sure millions of people in this country have done theyre very own gas lines, heck even built their entire house from dirt to roof. Anybody can learn how to do anything, too many people on here discourage many different diy projects, just because your not a "master plumber" doesnt mean you cannot do it.... you research it, find out all aspects of doing something safely, if you have doubts than dont do it, but me, i will research and learn and will never hire any "master" anybody to work on my house, and that doesnt mean it wasnt done right... its not my responsibility to put dinner on someone elses table other than mine. The most complaining that i always hear is usually from the "master" of that trade that has been in the business for umpteen years and think theyre trade is a sacred art..... these people need to get over themself...

I agree 100%! There isn't a trade out there that someone can't learn or we wouldn't have it. A favorite quote of mine is "Common sense isn't sense common to everyone, but sense in common things."

My $0.02 do it yourself, The last time I paid someone to do gas work (Gas fireplace installed) I found a leak 2 weeks after the job was done, fortunately it was on the outside of the house. When I called they told me they would have someone come check it out in a couple of days. So I fixed it myself. I care about my property and my family and am willing to take as much time is required to get the job done properly, clearly the pros don`t care as much as I do.

black pipe isn't rocket science. pipe dope, get it tight. it's a a tapered thread, it's designed to seal.

yeah, it's gas, but the person you pay $xxx isn't gonna do anything different than turn a wrench. buy some leak detector spray (or use your starsan spray bottle) to check your work.

buy some leak detector spray (or use your starsan spray bottle) to check your work.
Nope. You should use:
gas_leak_detector.jpg

Forget about using starsan or soap solution or spray 'stuff'. Natural gas is very low pressure.

I place a gauge in line and pressurize it & then wait several hours (days) to make sure that there are no leaks. You are playing "You bet your home" on the deal. It's not a CO² tank that we are talking about.

Just my humble opinion.

Back