Really fast ferment. ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
I brewed six gallons of stout this weekend (Sunday), OG was 1.070. I pitched an appropriate starter of ten day old WLP013 London Ale (2 vials in 1200ml, a slight overpitch according to Mr. Malty), oxygenated with pure oxygen for 60 seconds, and set the ferment chamber at 66F. The temp controller temperature agreed with the fermometer on the ferment bucket every time I checked.

It started in about five hours and when I got home today (48 hours after pitching) the airlock was down to about a bubble every ten minutes or more. I checked the gravity and it is 1.014.

Is that normal? I've never had one finish up that fast before. Usually it is a least three or four days before things slow down this much.

It tastes good. I still need to rack it onto some cherry puree and cocoa nibs (Black Forest Stout), so it should pick back up, but it is still odd to me that it finished so quickly, especially at 66 degrees.

Is that normal?

Normal, probably not. Unheard of, definitely not. I've heard of many cases of fermentations reaching FG in under 48 hours. If it tastes good like you said, then it's definitely fine. Of course that doesn't mean you should rack it right away.

Totally possible.....especially since you pitched the proper amount of healthy yeast and you oxygenated. Between that and good temperature control you should end up with a great beer!!

You're fine. Your beer is fine.

Let it condition on the cake and then bottle.

Back