Heat too much for okc, and my fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate88237

Reaction score
Hello fellow brew superstars,

This past saturday I brewed a nut brown ale 5 gallon batch and pitched a rehydrated packet of nottingham yeast. I had "vigorous" swirling and co2 activity within 5 hours. I also had a good 3 inches of krausen buildup which has now subsided. I live in CT and since this past wed. (4 days into fermentation) we have had a serious heat wave. It has been 82° in my place for the past 3 days. Should I be worried about off flavors and possibly a larger than expected buildup of esters?

Cheers

Perhaps, but it sounds like the bulk of the fermentation occurred with in the first few days. Yeast are much more tolerant to higher temperatures when they are cleaning up after themselves after the initial fermentation. I wouldn't worry, your beer will be drinkable and, more than likely, good!

I agree, I think it'll be fine being that it sounds like peak ferm has passed. But man, if that heat wave came a few days earlier, you'd be in for some funk with that notty!

Hypothetically speaking, what would of happened if I had fermented in 80° temps. What kind of off flavors would occur? A lot of fruitiness?

Ha, I live in connecticut, was referring to oklahoma city thunder. But yes we do have ac but I'm a frugal man who only turns on ac when my wife threatens me. A happy wife is a happy home.

Back