munich malt vs cyrstal malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
my recipe called for german crystal 20 and 80. I couldnt find that so i used light munich malt and dark munich malt. Is this ok????

my recipe called for german crystal 20 and 80. I couldnt find that so i used light munich malt and dark munich malt. Is this ok????

Well, they are totally different things. so, yes, of course it's ok because the end result will be beer. but it's not the same thing at all, and not even close to the same thing.

Crystal malt is made by a totally different process than Munich malt (a base malt) and has different tastes, color, properties, and fermentability.

It's like making spaghetti sauce and not having tomato paste and subbing anchovy paste. Totally different, and not even close to the original taste planned, but not all that bad in most cases.

Definitely ok...in fact, I bet it'll be better. As Yooper said, they're totally different, but the Munichs will give you tons of flavor with less residual sweetness compared to the crystal. I think you'll be pleased.

Expect a more traditional, crisp O-fest instead of some of the American malt-bombs.

Crystal is a trademark name for a particular malt. The common name for similar malts is caramel. You do get a very caramel aroma from some of these.

It's like making spaghetti sauce and not having tomato paste and subbing anchovy paste. Totally different, and not even close to the original taste planned, but not all that bad in most cases.

Ooo good analogy! :mug:

Latest posts

Back