Converting AG Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkagain

Reaction score
Is there any formula for converting all grain recipes to partial mash or extract recipes? I haven't made the jump to all grain yet and I keep coming across recipes that sound good but are all grain.

Thanks.

homebrewer_99 said:
1 lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME ;)

For many recipes you just have to select the correct amount of base malt extract, you can still steep the specialty grains. If you post, others would be glad to help on specific recipes.

Beerrific said:
For many recipes you just have to select the correct amount of base malt extract, you can still steep the specialty grains. If you post, others would be glad to help on specific recipes.

Fantastic! Thanks.

Kilned Malts need to be mashed and cannot be steeped. Biscuit Malt, Victory Malt, Munich Malt, Vienna Malt, Dextrin Malt are kilned. Adjuncts that need to be mashed and cannot be steeped include; oatmeal, flaked corn, flaked barley, flaked wheat and flaked rice.

Just because they have one of those malts doesn't mean you can't do it with extract.

Some of these you can even get as extract (e.g. munich, wheat).

I think you will find that there are few all grain recipes that you can't find good, suitable extract replacements.

Back