Biere de Garde and 100% Brett B Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coypoo

Reaction score
I brewed 7 gallons of NB's Biere de Garde kit a few weeks ago. Fermented 5 gallons with 2112 at 58, then raised to about 62 after 5 days (1060 to 1016). I fermented the other 2 gallons w/ Brett B. I tasted the BdG a few days ago when I took the gravity reading and I'm not too impressed. Kinda sweet, not hoppy, overall I thought kinda boring. So I am thinking about just bottling 1 gallon of it and then 1 gallon of the Brett B beer and then blending the remaining 4 gallons of BdG with the 1 gallon of Brett B. Does anyone have any experience with blending 100% Brett beers or any ideas to help my situation out? Do you think the blended will even turn out good? Should I just add a small amount of Brett yeast to the BdG instead of blending?

Thanks!

You could certainly blend, but then you'd have to wait a few months for the gravity to stabilize before bottling. Biere de Gardes can take awhile to come into its own, but they are relatively "plain" malty/clean beers (although it probably should be a bit drier).

Good luck.

I would give the beer a bit longer to ferment. I made a gose style beer with 100% brett and it took 4 weeks to ferment out completely and it was a small beer (1.042 OG). From what I've read, given the time, most brett strains will take the OG down to a terminal of around 1.008 - plenty dry.

Yeah, I read the BJCP style guideline after I brewed it and didnt realize it was supposed to be drier. I'm thinking the blend will be sitting for 6-8 weeks before we bottle. Hopefully it will turn out good

Back