Hop aroma in a Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockomania

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to put an all grain recipe together for a Smoked Porter, but I want some hop aroma that doesn't clash with smokiness... any suggestions?

some late styrian golding would also do the job, any of the English (or English style) hops would suit in that respect.

I have a smoked porter on tap that I used chinook in, but just at 60 minutes. There's a noticeable hop character there still that I'm digging. In fact, I might go get a pint right now.

I'm thinking Fuggles and Mt Hood :)

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll let you know how it turns out!

I just brewed a Smoked Porter using 1lb. Marris Otter smoked 1.5 hours over mesquite(hece the name The Mosquito) chips on the barbecue over low heat.
TheMosquito.JPG

I mashed for 10 hours! (went mushroom foraging with a neighbor) beginning at 154F in a coleman cooler. It was the best beer I've had in a long time. I tapped the keg Thursday and it's down to maybe a gallon. I've only been brewing for a couple of years but I would be proud to enter it in a competition.

Back