Round or square manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Reaction score
I've got a round 10 gal cooler and would like to build a copper manifold (like Palmer instructs) for it. The round version seems like it would be more efficient, but the square looks easier to construct. Has anyone seen any difference between them? If you've made a round copper manifold, I'd appreciate any tips you have.

The square one will work just as effectively as a round one and it's way easier to make.

+1 on the square manifold. Took me like 30 minutes, including drilling holes and cursing like a sailor as I scraped my hand holding the short pieces (I don't have a table vise). But I got great results, and no stuck sparge with my first AG batch - and that included rye, which is fairly notorious as a sticky mash ingredient.

Why do you figure the round would be more efficient?

It just seems like the round version would give more uniform contact with the grain bed and drain more evenly. Even if that were true, I'm getting lazy in my old age and would happily sacrifice a little efficiency for ease of construction, so I'm leaning toward the square.

I vote square, that's what I did.

IMG_9024.JPG

Latest posts

Back