Root Beer Carb issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickeldeposit

Reaction score
So I followed the directions on the back of the Gnome Root Beer extract package word for word (1/4 tsp Champaign yeast per 2.5 gallons soda). I used 20oz bottles and bottled Tuesday night at 10pm. So this morning (Friday of same week) 7am I feel the bottles and they feel firm but still can be compressed some (not rock hard), so into the frig they go (about 56 hours in the bottle). This evening I come home from work and open one up, makes a nice carbonated sound when opened but when poured and tasted no carbonation at all. Tastes good but just flat, no fizz. So I took them out of the frig and resuspended the yeast and put back into a room temp box to hopefully carb up. Will this work 1. Since they have no carbonation to this point? 2. Will it work since the bottles have been refrigerated all day? Why a carb sound when opened but no carb in the soda itself.:confused:

If they aren't hard enough, don't put them in the fridge. It may take longer if your room is cool. Put them someplace warmer (the top of the fridge is good) until they are hard. In the summer, this is about 48 hours. In the winter, it could be quite a bit longer.

The reason they had a pffft sound is because you have some carbonation, just not enough.

Ok so they are setting in a box in my kithen at about 70 degrees. Not wanting them to blow up really how hard should the bottles be when you give them a squeeze? Also how long should it take to carb up good?

Thanks

i did mine last saturday, and i poured a glass yesterday, had nice carb! also ysed the same yeast and it was on the counter the hole time.

At 70 degrees, it can take from 24 hours to five days, depending on the health of the yeast, etc. If you use a fresh package of yeast, it'll be a bit faster. If you used an already opened package, it might not go as well. (Once dry yeast is opened, you shouldn't save it).

Keep them at room temperature until they are hard. They shouldn't give much at all when you squeeze. Then put one in the fridge for 24 hours and try it. If it's carbed up well, put the rest in the fridge.

Back