Asian 5-spice powder???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
Anyone ever try to spice a beer with it? has all the right stuff to make a nice winter warmer... might add some fresh ginger to it kick the ginger up a bit. has star anise, fennel, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.

Any suggestions?

Anyone ever try to spice a beer with it? has all the right stuff to make a nice winter warmer... might add some fresh ginger to it kick the ginger up a bit. has star anise, fennel, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.

Any suggestions?

Sounds good in a nut brown. I'd think you'd want a beer that has a decent body bot not too heavy so that the flavor would hint out without either overpowering the beer or getting lost in the malts.

We (chinese) use those powder to stew meat. It has a very interesting spice profile. You will like it. I think the spiced beer can be used to stew or make a good hamburger like how people use Guinness dishes.

The Five spice powder has a very "sauce" like flavor. If you want your beer to taste like stewed meat or sauce, go for it. Its always safer not to over do the spice component.

I have to agree - five spice always makes me think of a meat dish. I like a spice beer to have more of a fruitcake flavour (yes I like fruitcake!)

Made a stir fry with some 5-spice last night whole house smelled great.

I don't think it would take very much to spice a whole batch. no more than an ounce possibly less. possibly dry hopped?, I think if i added it to the end of the boil the flavor would be too strong. I really like the way this stuff smells though. pretty strong on the sweet spices, fennel takes back seat

like the brown ale suggestion...

Back