Freshops crowns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll get a harvest the first year with a crown that big, on the other hand the reason you are getting a 30 yr old crown is probably because a lot of hop-yards will replace their crowns after a certain period of time as production diminishes.

I saw these too on Sunday when I ordered from there. It made me wonder what made them so valuable, so I googled "hop crown" . Amongst all of the "hip hop crown" websites that I weeded through was one from... I think it was the "Oregon Hop Commision" or something similar. It told about the crowning of hops in the spring. Basically, after the first shoots come up the entire top of the plant is "mowed" off because the first shoots are considered weaker. Really made me wonder about MY pruning practices. If you can find it it'll make you think twice about the value of a crown.

I am in no way a hop farmer, just a guy who's grown one vine (until this upcoming year:rockin: ) and had consistent results. I think that great hops are just like great beer: Patience is a virtue.

If anyone has started with a crown and had great success, it would be great to hear about.

A crown that large can probably be split into 4-5 pieces & still have a decent yield on all of the plants the first year. 30 is not old for a hop plant, they will keep producing for 50-60 years as long as you keep them fed. One of these crowns could easily produce 3-4 pounds of hops the first year.

Would it be to late to plant one this late into the season?

I'm thinking about ordering one.

Mustangj said:
Would it be to late to plant one this late into the season?

I'm thinking about ordering one.

Nope not at all, especially since ur in detroit.

Atl300zx said:
Nope not at all, especially since ur in detroit.

Isn't the weather gettin lovely now? All warm and HUMID!!! Lets see if we are going to get a lot of rain this summer.

My Hallertau is about 2ft and my cascade is about 1.5ft tall and we are supposed to get snow flurries!!

That's pretty wild. The Zeus and Magnum I got this year were pretty portly, I'd say near 3/4" diameter. The Brewers Gold I got last year was maybe 1/4" diameter for all three. I'd imagine a crown of 30 years would be pretty impressive.

Back