Help me dry hop my IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brickwalker

Reaction score
I had a good yield on my hop plants this year so I wanted to brew a big IIPA using exclusively my own homegrown hops. I brewed the recipe below and right now as it sits in the keg it seems to be a dry hop away from being great.

The problem is that I'm really not sure what i want from the dry-hop. I've been bouncing back and forth between floral-citrusy/tangerine and floral-fruity. The aroma now is hard to explain but I get the following aromas in order as I smell sweet/floral-tangerine-pine.

My Recipe:
OG:1.088
FG: 1.017
IBU: 170
Yeast: US-05

Grain:
13lb Pale Malt
3lb Vienna
12oz Cara 40L
12oz Honey Malt
12oz Special B
8oz Carafoam
9.2oz Rapadura Sugar

Hops:
3oz CTZ - 60min
.82oz Northern Brewer - 45min
2oz Centennial - 30min
2oz Cascade - 5min
1oz Cascade - 0min
0.85oz Centennial + 0.15oz CTZ @ KO

I don't want to dry hop with my homegrown hops so the options I have to dry hop with are below.

Obvious/Common/Popular Choices:
Amarillo
Simcoe
Centennial
Citra
Chinook
CTZ
Nelson Sauvin
Summit
belma

Other Options:
Willamette
Mt Hood
EKG
Saaz
Tett

Part of me just wants to go with 1oz each of Simcoe-Amarillo-Citra as i'm sure I'll get a great, albeit fairly typical, American IPA aroma. But then i think maybe Citra-Belma with maybe something like an EKG would be a cool balance of floral and fruity while also being a bit unique. I understand that what this really comes down to is personal preference, but I'm essentially looking for Ideas and experience from you guys to give my baby the future it deserves ;)

well all your flavor is centennial and cascade (fruit) so i would go chinook/ctz on it. get some piney/earthy contrast. maybe add a bit of centennial or cascade to echo your flavoring and glue flavor and aroma together.

Back