Beer Cleared Now Cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RmikeVT

Reaction score
I wanted to find out if there are any similar experiences out there (that don't end in infection).

Recently I brewed an Irish Red Ale with 1oz late hop addition (10mins). I used Nottingham to ferment. After about 4 weeks I took a gravity sample and the beer was red and crystal clear, tasted fantastic (1.051 to 1.008). Well, now its been about 2 weeks since then and I am getting ready to keg it in the next few days, so I went for another gravity sample (and I wanted to taste how the maturation was coming along), when I uncovered the better bottle it looked as if fermentation had started back up, small krausen on top, when I pulled the sample the beer was cloudy again. I had trouble tasting objectively, as I was looking for fault in it once I saw it was cloudy and it looked as if some krausen had started back up.

I didn't dry hop. So not hop haze.

Since nottingham yeast drops out of the beer like a rock and the beer stays clear, if it seems that fermentation has restarted after a month, and the beer is now cloudy, that there is an infection process happening.

There is definitely something going on. I checked gravity and it was consistent with the gravity I took several weeks ago. Could it be CO2 coming out of solution as I agitated the carboy quite a bit inspecting the brew.

Back