When Yeast attacks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noblebrew

Reaction score
So a little back story. Two days before brew day I broke my last airlock :( and while I ordered one it wouldn't be here on time. So I hooked up a blow off tube while I waited for my airlock to arrive. It was a good thing I did because I had the most vigorous fermentation I have ever seen :rockin:. So vigorous in fact that it clogged the blow off tube and popped the lid right off of my fermenter.

This Is where my story begins. I went to check on my beer because I was so proud of the yeasties for all the hard work they do. when I see they have blown the lid off the fermenter. I rushed to bucket and quickly clean and sanitize the lid before putting it firmly in place. I wash the blow off tube and coat it in the star san and put it right back to work. Now as I start to clean up the mess sweat dripped into my eye and without thinking I rubbed my eye. :smack:
There was instant itchiness and burning. Well if there is anything allergies have taught me it is that touching it will only make it worse. So I leave it alone. Fast forward an hour and it has only gotten worse. I tell SWMBO who happens to be a medic that there is something in my eye and it hurts. "What should I do?" I ask and with out looking up from her book she says "Go flush your eye with saline." Let me tell you, if you think that you have yeast in your eye NEVER, EVER, flush your eye with saline. My eye starts to swell and foam and the burning has gone from uncomfortable to almost unbearable. I come down stairs and say "Honey, I don't think that helped. In fact I think it made it worse." At this point she looks up from her book with that look that says you interrupted me during a good point in the book and you will pay for this latter.
She takes a look at my eye and says "Your eyeball is swelling and starting to give you a black eye. You should go to the hospital."
At this point I'm not listening to her any more I say "I'm fine. I'll just sleep it off. I will be all better by morning." Of course this starts a little dispute over what to do. I end up calling my buddy who's wife is a Physician Assistant. I tell him what happened. After the laughter dies down the first thing I'm told is "Don't flush it out with saline."
To which I reply "To late."
Him "Ouch that sucks. Just flush it out with cold water for 10 to 15 min. Why did you flush it out with saline?"
"My wife told me to."
In the background I hear laughter and "That's how medics learn."
My wife hears this and laughs. "She's right this is how we learn. Now I know and Knowledge is half the battle."
After standing in the shower to flush out my eye, and a good night sleep. My eye feels much better. :ban:
Lessons I learned.
1. Don't touch your eye with yeast on your fingers.
2. Make sure SWMBO is paying attention next time I ask for medical advice.
3. It's nice to have good friends.

Wow! Holy shnikeys! I didn't know that combo would cause a subconjunctural hematoma. good to know,thanks for passing this on. Everyone should know this. although it does make sense. when I was still working for Ford,& in CEP#1,we had an area where the machined pistons went through a tin plater tank while on an overhead hanger line that went down & ran through the plating tank,etc. Every so often,your eyes would start to burn,& we had an eye wash fountain here & there in the area to flush'em out with cold water. guess it applys to brewing as well.

I think it was the yeast. It was from the hand that held the spray bottle.

I did go to an frg meeting with a huge black eye last week and no one said a thing about it. I think they all just assumed my wife beats me.

Back