Sterling 514 -- Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a0628h0427

Reaction score
Ok, first time using Sterling 514 with a kit from Austin Homebrew -- Munich Porter. Crazy fast fermentation took off within 3-4 hours but then was done within 12 hours. Fermentation temperature was 72 degrees. I took a gravity reading, and it's down to about 1.022 from 1.060. I stirred today (third day after brewing) and added yeast hulls to see if it would restart. I usually keep a few packets of dried yeast on hand in case of a stuck fermentation, but unfortunately I am out. I am going out of town in a few days and don't think I have enough time for yeast to get to me from any homebrew supply store. I have another batch in the fermenter, brewed a couple of days after the porter using Safale US-05. It is already within a point or two of it's expected gravity. Could I pull some of the yeast off the bottom of this beer and innoculate the stuck one to get it restarted? Any other solutions?

Thanks.... Cody

So you're thinking it's done fermenting after only 3 days? It's not. Put the lid back on it, go out of town and check it when you come back. What is it that makes you think it's done already?

willness33 said:
So you're thinking it's done fermenting after only 3 days? It's not. Put the lid back on it, go out of town and check it when you come back. What is it that makes you think it's done already?

Absolutely no activity in the airlock since it quit after 12 hours of rapid fermentation. It just stopped, and the gravity is at 1.022. Expected gravity for this recipe is 1.014.

Airlock activity (or lack thereof) is not a good indicator of yeast activity or completion of fermentation. Put the lid on, go on your trip, and check it when you get back.

Back