Mineral content of MoreBeer! Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMc0724

Reaction score
I prefer to buy local, but I'm paying too much for extract here. Plus, I would like (and need) to control the mineral content, if possible, in my extract. I see that MoreBeer! buys its extract manufactured (for MoreBeer!) in the San Francisco Bay area. A Web search shows that SF's water is amazingly soft (e.g., Mg=3ppm, Ca=10ppm, Na is 5 ppm). Does any one know the mineral content of MoreBeer! Extract?

If that's the case I contacted Briess to find out their mineral content, here is the response I got.

"Our water contains approximately 63mg/L Sulfate,& 28mg/L Chloride. We brew at 16 Plato, then concentrate to 80% or 98% solids. If Briess extracts contributes 16 Plato to your wort you should have about 63 & 28mg/L, if 8 Plato then 31.5 & 14 mg/L. The only other information I can give you about our mineral profile is that our water is moderately hard."

If you are worrying about the mineral content of the extract, I think its time you put on your big boy pants and jumped into all-grain brewing! :)

Back