Kal's TheElectricBrewery Panels FOR SALE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is pricey, but I will say that it is pretty fairly priced for someone that can't and/or doesn't want to spend the time to put it together for themselves.

I respect Kal a lot for offering his product up for essentially "free" on his site, giving you super detailed instructions to go out and do the panel and everything else on your own. I think many people would not offer all that information up in order to probably make more money on selling their own product, but Prost to Kal for choosing not to do so.

I am sure we all wish him well and offer many thanks for all the great info and insight he offers via his site.

I was just looking yesterday at his website for the first time. I looked through the directions and thought I may be able to do it. Now that you can buy it, I may have to save up for this.

NattyBrew, how much did it cost you to build yours?

What? No solar panels? :)

Imagine running an electric brewery with solar power.

Thanks for the plug!

Regarding pricing: For what it's worth, it actually cost me MORE than the pre-built asking price to just buy the parts myself and have them shipped to up here in Canada.

Now these panels are being built in the USA so there's a cost savings. But we still feel it's pretty inexpensive when you consider that there's 30-40+ hours of skilled labour involved and a warranty is provided.

Having the complete DIY instructions on the website also gives you what amounts to the "ultimate service manual". It's really something that nobody's ever done (as far as I know) as NattyBrew mentions: Provide 100% of the information for free but then also offer up a product for those that don't want to go the DIY route.

Kal

Start building one to Kal's specs and you'll find that this assembled panel is a pretty good value. I'm building a simpler version, and easily have more than $1000 in parts alone and still have a few more items, like wire, to buy. Then there's the labor to cut out the panel, etc.

I concur. I built a stripped down version(no alarms, no volt meter, no amp meter, no countdown timer, cheaper smaller case, less switches and lights) and I have about $900 in it. I still don't have labels on it. I spent about 20 hours working on it before it was operational. It's quite a task.

I would definitely recommend someone to buy this pre-assembled and tested at that price. Congrats on the progress Kal.

Is this built in a UL 508 panel shop?,or have a UL listing?.
No and No.

The US manufacturer who is selling these directly was concerned with CSA/UL/etc approval and looked in to and discussed with their lawyer(s) before starting selling. They chose to not have the panel design CSA/UL inspected, same as what others who sell electrical control panels are doing as far as I know (HighGravityBrew.com, BrewMation.com, etc).

Kal

I built my own, thanks to Kal's site. I paid the money for the .PDF he sells, and am pleased to say, everything works quite well. I think I learned a lot by building my own panel with Kal's instruction -- I went with Contactors versus Relays for example. Anyway, I would encourage folks to consider building their own.

Also, special thanks to bbognerks for building his first and helping me with mine.

As someone who isn't very good with electrical work I'd consider this if I was going to go with an electric brewery in my home. Right now I'm still in the infant stages of my brewing career so we'll see which way I go in the future. Great to see something like this offered....................finally! *thumbs up*

Having sold industrial automation for years, I think Kal's panel is a deal.

If your going to do an electric system, your looking at at least a grand (probably more) if you already own pots and other things, plus the value of your time.

In the end, safety costs $$$. And Kal has thought that through, so the other grand is for piece of mind that you wont kill yourself.

Thank you Kal.

Since I am going through a 'suped up Kal 60amp build and buy electrical parts all the time, I will throw in my $0.02.

This is a smokin' hot deal. I mean, are you kidding yourself? The time and material, alone, is well worth it. I'm surprised this is not selling for $5K.

In our business, we get this all the time, "Wow, I can do that for cheaper and it looks easy." Good luck. If you have the money, buy it, it REALLY is a good deal.

Or, I look forward to your posts moaning about the buying, measuring, cutting, costs of shipment, etc (then, repeat 10X).

Good for you, hopefully you sell a few. Would you consider taking custom orders as well or designing a few more less elaborate pieces? I've already built my own, and I know this is a good price for what it is, but you may be pricing yourself out of a large part of the market.

Kal, will you be offering assembled heating elements? So that I all I would need to do is drill the pot.
Yup! The intent is to eventually over the course of 2011, offer absolutely everything at reasonable (or lower) prices than buying elsewhere. My manufacturer (Spike Innovations) has been talking to various suppliers including those that sell the 5500W heating elements.

Kal

Good for you, hopefully you sell a few. Would you consider taking custom orders as well or designing a few more less elaborate pieces? I've already built my own, and I know this is a good price for what it is, but you may be pricing yourself out of a large part of the market.
Anything is possible but at this time no, we don't plan on offering a 'simpler' version. For one reason, the cost savings would likely not be huge. The cost of parts is only one factor that affects the final price.

Customization is possible (depends however on how customized someone wants something). Keep in mind that customization can sometimes cost MORE even if you're simplifying since any change means something new is done and it has to be designed/tested/assembled *differently* from the regular setup that's already undergone months if not years of testing.

When you customize the cost savings of doing things in volume goes out the window as well. For example, asking Ford to sell you one car with 3 doors instead of 4 won't actually save you any money, it'll cost you more.

I get asked and see posts constantly about the control panel DIY build instructions and if the the cost could be reduced by eliminating certain things. The answer is of course, yes, people can remove things and build it any way they like and it'll lower the cost. Most that start down that path however quickly realize that the cost savings is fairly negligible in the grand scheme of things and so most just built is as documented.

Kal

Julohan said:
NattyBrew, how much did it cost you to build yours?

It cost me just about $1000 bucks in parts and tools since I had most of what I needed already. You add tax and some shipping charges on there and it probably put the cost of the panel at around $1200 or so.

Like I mentioned before, for someone who doesn't want to spend the time to build this thing on their own, Kal's pre built panels are a solid deal. You get what looks like a super clean product which for someone without the time, skills, or desire to do it on their own is awesome.

Don't want to pay that much for a panel? Hop over to Kal's site, follow his super simple instructions, and get to work.

Having built one of Kal's machine's from scratch I can say ... Kal I hate you.

If given the option way back when I started I would have jumped on it. I can honestly say I've spent at least 1.5x that price on my CP.

Granted I've learned a lot and that's good too...but I still hate you (in a totally "love you" kind of way ;) )

Like Nattybrew mentioned above, I built a Kal-Clone also and it cost me right around 1000 total. I probably spent a solid 2 weeks on it once I had everything I needed. The hardest part was all the wiring/splicing. Otherwise its a pretty easy build and incredibly satisfying to see working when you're done. However, I would have been very tempted to buy a pre-made panel from Kal's site if they were available at the time. Even at that price its a really good deal.

In fact, I'm using my Kal-Clone panel right now as I type this message!
DSC_0771-1.jpg

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Does it matter what amp your 240v is connected to?
Yes.

The control panel requires a 240VAC / 30 amp service with ground to operate, such as a standard dryer outlet found in most North American homes.

The power must be protected with a GFI either in the power cord or in the 30 amp breaker installed in the circuit breaker panel.

Kal

Personally, I'd buy it before I'd build it. I'm glad to see Kal doing this because I am definitely going to consider this...now that I don't have to build it!

The only issue I have with buying one outright is that it's much easier to sneak by >$1k in parts to the SWMBO if I spread them out over a few months than it is to justify the single lump purchase of a pre-built panel.

Do some of you guys mind if I quote some of you on the control panel order page to help those who are on the fence? I'd like to use the following quotes (see below) if it's ok - PM me if you don't mind and let me know. Thanks!

Start building one to Kal's specs and you'll find that this assembled panel is a pretty good value. I'm building a simpler version, and easily have more than $1000 in parts alone and still have a few more items, like wire, to buy. Then there's the labor to cut out the panel, etc.

I built a stripped down version(no alarms, no volt meter, no amp meter, no countdown timer, cheaper smaller case, less switches and lights) and I have about $900 in it. I still don't have labels on it. I spent about 20 hours working on it before it was operational. It's quite a task. I would definitely recommend someone to buy this pre-assembled and tested at that price.

Having sold industrial automation for years, I think Kal's panel is a deal. If your going to do an electric system, your looking at at least a grand (probably more) if you already own pots and other things, plus the value of your time. In the end, safety costs $$$. And Kal has thought that through, so the other grand is for piece of mind that you wont kill yourself. Thank you Kal.

Since I am going through a 'suped up Kal 60amp build and buy electrical parts all the time, I will throw in my $0.02. This is a smokin' hot deal. I mean, are you kidding yourself? The time and material, alone, is well worth it. I'm surprised this is not selling for $5K. In our business, we get this all the time, "Wow, I can do that for cheaper and it looks easy." Good luck. If you have the money, buy it, it REALLY is a good deal.

It cost me just about $1000 bucks in parts and tools since I had most of what I needed already. You add tax and some shipping charges on there and it probably put the cost of the panel at around $1200 or so. For someone who doesn't want to spend the time to build this thing on their own, Kal's pre-built panels are a solid deal. You get what looks like a super clean product which for someone without the time, skills, or desire to do it on their own is awesome.

Having built one of Kal's machine's from scratch I can say ... Kal I hate you. If given the option way back when I started I would have jumped on it. I can honestly say I've spent at least 1.5x that price on my CP. Granted I've learned a lot and that's good too...but I still hate you (in a totally "love you" kind of way ;) )

I built a Kal-Clone also and it cost me right around $1000 total. I probably spent a solid 2 weeks on it once I had everything I needed. The hardest part was all the wiring/splicing. Otherwise its a pretty easy build and incredibly satisfying to see working when you're done. However, I would have been very tempted to buy a pre-made panel from Kal's site if they were available at the time. Even at that price its a really good deal. In fact, I'm using my Kal-Clone panel right now as I type this message!

Kal

Having alot of other projects and responsibilities my time is at a premium. I'm 85% through my Kal Panel build. From the cost of the parts, the time it takes to get a replacement volt meter because you burned yours out usng a faulty transformer, etc, etc $2100 is a tremendous bargain.

While I'm sure I'll be proud to have done it myself.....Does anyone want to buy a 85% complete panel with all the parts for $1200? :)

Kal, I know you said earlier that your goal was to eventually get to a point where you sold all the necessary parts. However, as it sits right now, I noticed you sell the power cord and the probe wires, but do you include the male plugs that are needed for the pump connections? I have a friend that I showed this to who is quite interested, but was curious if those were included or would have to be located personally. Good luck with everything, it looks great!

Kal, I know you said earlier that your goal was to eventually get to a point where you sold all the necessary parts. However, as it sits right now, I noticed you sell the power cord and the probe wires, but do you include the male plugs that are needed for the pump connections? I have a friend that I showed this to who is quite interested, but was curious if those were included or would have to be located personally. Good luck with everything, it looks great!

The locking 120V/15A male plugs that replace the regular pump plugs are not normally included in the control panel normally, but can easily be added to an order.

Kal

Are there simple converters plugs with one end female for a standard plug and the male side that would fit in the control panel?

Damn you to hell, kal. 6 months to late for my build, I would have sold a kidney to get your panel.

Feel free to use it on the order page.:D
I am dead serious on the kidney though.

_

Are there simple converters plugs with one end female for a standard plug and the male side that would fit in the control panel?
That would defeat the purpose of having locking plugs on the panel. If you really don't want locking plugs for the pumps then I'm sure non-locking plugs can be installed in the panel as these are all custom/built to order.

Kal

I would highly recommend just going with the locking plugs. These cords are heavy and the way they are installed on the bottom of the panel it would be very easy to accidentally pull one out during a brewing session. Its worth the extra cost IMO.

Kal, it's official, you have revolutionized the home brewing process. I just got a bunch of stuff in the mail today and I now wish I waited it out to just purchase your panel. That is an excellent price considering all the work that is required to assemble it. I feel your pain on shipping, as I am in Hawaii! I have to shop around to find the right price and someone that will ship to Hawaii for a reasonable price!

Thank you again for the inspiration to build my own and when I convince others to go electric I will send them to your site!

Hi guys! Complete DIY kits are now up too... typically cheaper than having to buy all the parts separately, plus all the parts are pre-tested. (No incorrectly matched LED lights or incorrect parts like many have been having problems with - people seem to be having the most problems with getting the wrong meters).

Kal

Holly cow that is awesome, I am going to start saving up! I did just buy your book. Awesome work.

Hi guys! Complete DIY kits are now up too... typically cheaper than having to buy all the parts separately, plus all the parts are pre-tested. (No incorrectly matched LED lights or incorrect parts like many have been having problems with).

Kal

Wow! This makes have an electric brewery more feasible. Will the control panel have the drilled slots already cut out?

Wow! This makes have an electric brewery more feasible. Will the control panel have the drilled slots already cut out?
No. No work has been done. We'll likely offer up pre-punched enclosures in the future but the manufacturer wants to first see how things go and get a few more under his belt.

With this kit you get the exact parts we list you need in one big package, all pre-tested and you follow the step by step instructions to build/assemble. Absolutely everything that goes into the panel is included such as the PIDs, timer, switches, meters, panel tags, handles, heat sink, relays, wire, etc. Even the JB Weld, heat sink grease, and every single screw and nut is included. The customer supplies the tools (including a means to punch holes) and paints it (we can't include paint as you're not allowed to mail it not to mention it's easy to find).

Kal

Back