The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I would have posted picks yesterday..... I totally knew Costa Rica was going to take out Uruguay... Uruguay is always a bit arrogant... I had no doubt they would overlook them and despite missing a couple of top players.. Costa Rica has speed and talent on the attack.... loved watching that victory for CONCACAF.

Watching Pirlo for Italy is still always a pleasure... if I was starting a team... he is the first player I take.. he makes EVERYONE better... smartest player and best passer I've ever seen on the field... my favorite player of all time.

Well.... I was pulling for the Swiss... they've been much better in the second half today.... though it looks like a 1-1 tie will be the result..

Argentina should have an easy time...

France should win, but Honduras will play very hard and give them some trouble... come on Boniek Garcia!

I thought the Ecuadorian team was the much better team this morning. Just got lazy at the end.

That is why you should get up and keep playing when fouled...

GREAT GOAL from the Swiss!!!!! Well deserved....

I thought the Ecuadorian team was the much better team this morning. Just got lazy at the end.

They were the first half... but the SWiss were better in the second half... Ecuador woke for the last ten minutes... but the ending was deserved.. oh.. and the Swiss weren't offside on the goal that was called back against them..

Swiss deserved the three points.. and they fought back and got it...

Ecuador should have been playing harder for a second goal in the first half.. but they scored and then just kind of bunkered in until half time.

Could have been different had the Ecuadorian player put that chance in the back of the net.

Nice smash and grab by the Swiss in stoppage time!

Could have been different had the Ecuadorian player put that chance in the back of the net.

Nice smash and grab by the Swiss in stoppage time!

Yep.. they both had chances... not sure why the Ecuadorian was playing around with the ball at the top of the box... he had plenty of time... then tried to dribble a bit.... just pick a corner and crush it!

Doing my best to watch soccer...I few things I can't manage to get past:

1. The flailing and fake injuries - ridiculous and completely unnecessary
2. Acting like you are the best athlete in the world after making a penalty kick... great job, but you suck if you miss that shot - total arrogance.
3. Running away from your teammates who are trying to congratulate you after a score - total arrogance.

How do you guys handle these things? I can't seem to just ignore them...

2. Acting like you are the best athlete in the world after making a penalty kick... great job, but you suck if you miss that shot - total arrogance.
3. Running away from your teammates who are trying to congratulate you after a score - total arrogance.

How do you guys handle these things? I can't seem to just ignore them...

1. Some teams are worse than others. Even though soccer/football seems to be the most notable offender for this all sports have crap that players do trying to influence the ref so I usuallly look past it. See flopping in the NBA.

2. You can apply that logic to a lot of other situations in other sports. Run a TD in from the one yard line? Good, I'd expect you should since your basically following a wall of massive guys! Dunk the basketball, wow, it's not like we have ever seen anyone do THAT before! And let's be honest, goals are a lot harder to come by in soccer than other sports, so no matter how you score it it is worth a celebration.

3. I don't really see the problem of running to the corner flag or to your fans to celebrate. Your team mates will inevitably catch up to you.

I assure you that is not an easy shot and you do not suck if you miss. There is a reason you see the same guys on each team stepping up to take those kicks.

3. I don't really see the problem of running to the corner flag or to your fans to celebrate. Your team mates will inevitably catch up to you.

When I score a goal i never stop, so no one ever catches me. Of course, it limits me to one goal per game.

1. because it happens in other sports somehow makes it more bearable?

2. about the equivalent of making a free throw, hitting a single or running 10 yards for a first down. (difficulty wise, not effect on the game)

3. players often push their teammates away. It is clearly an act of self celebration.

2. about the equivalent of making a free throw, hitting a single or running 10 yards for a first down. (difficulty wise, not effect on the game)

3. players often push their teammates away. It is clearly an act of self celebration.

Great points. Guess you won't be watching soccer.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

1. Yep. Unless you're going to be so principled as to shun any sport where it exists in any form then you're a hypocrite for pointing it out as a huge issue. Could it be better? Yep. Is it a game breaking issue? Not for me. If it is for you then I sure hope you're consistent.

2. I'd humbly disagree. No one is goal keeping a basket, and you score no points on a first down. There may be harder things in sports, but scoring is scoring. Having an issue with players celebrating a goal just seems to be nitpicking.

3. And NFL players often run away from their team mates to dunk the ball over the uprights or jump into the crowd, does that make them arrogant as well? I don't think it does. Some players have a celebration they want to do that won't work if they're mobbed by their teammates. Their teammates always seem to find them after anyways so, what's the problem?

The main complaint Americans usually roll out about soccer is the lack of goals. Hoppy is bucking that trend by complaining about what happens when goals are scored.

This is some kind of progress, I suppose. ;)

Sorry Hoppy, I know soccer is un-American and commy and all that, but it is here to stay. :)

I love soccer, but I agree with this. Though, unnecessary is not true, it's very useful. But I think FIFA should do something about it. Yep, some teams are very bad with this.

Hope everyone is enjoying the tournament. Very nice so far, and no Brazil problems. I'm just on pins and needles waiting for the games tomorrow, Germany/Portugal and US/Ghana. Oh man, I think I'll take the day off!

Lots of rain, but it's the rain forest and soccer is an all-weather sport. Remember the US/ Costa Rica game in the snow last year? Epic.

Hope everyone is enjoying the tournament. Very nice so far, and no Brazil problems. I'm just on pins and needles waiting for the games tomorrow, Germany/Portugal and US/Ghana. Oh man, I think I'll take the day off!

Lots of rain, but it's the rain forest and soccer is an all-weather sport.

Everything has been awesome from a neutral's perspective. Plenty of goals and no draws! I'm nervous and uncertain about the Ghana game. I hope klinsy has the best setup, but you'll never know until that first game!

not sure why everyone has to be defensive. Just trying to start a discussion. There are plenty of positives, a ton actually. Baffles me the energy you spend to defend the obvious faults in the game. weird. Such a bitter bunch. Normally a group would welcome a discussion with someone trying to get into the game. No wonder no one cares about it here. terrible ambassadors the lot of you.

not sure why everyone has to be defensive. Just trying to start a discussion. There are plenty of positives, a ton actually. Baffles me the energy you spend to defend the obvious faults in the game. weird.

Read back, I never defended the one actual fault that you listed. It just gets tiresome, that's all. We are just trying to enjoy the competition here. I am happy to discuss specific bad events that happen during the tournament, like the Brazil penalty decision, but frankly, you just seem to be trolling without any real purpose.

Try citing examples. Maybe post video for discussion.

Not trolling at all. Interested in your perspectives on it. I just don't find "they do it other sports" to have any sort of significance. You don't think the two point about arrogance are legit? You think our youth should be doing cartwheels after making a penalty kick? Or running away from teammates to take lone credit for a scoring play?

I guess I did get my answers. Penalty kicks are really hard and they are running to cheer with the fans. Thumbs-up!

Anyway, not trying to take away from anyone's enjoyment of the tourney. This is the only time I watch, so I ask questions about what I'm seeing. I guess I just don't understand mannerisms of the players.

Not trolling at all. Interested in your perspectives on it. I just don't find "they do it other sports" to have any sort of significance. You don't think the two point about arrogance are legit? You think our youth should be doing cartwheels after making a penalty kick? Or running away from teammates to take lone credit for a scoring play?

I guess I did get my answers. Penalty kicks are really hard and they are running to cheer with the fans. Thumbs-up!

They would appear a lot more arrogant if they scored a PK and just went "Meh, easy peasy" They are in a no-win situation with you. As for celebrations in general, they are individuals, they will behave as such. That's no mystery, and no issue.

Actually penatly kicks really aren't that hard. Not that they're a given, but something like 75% of them are converted or something like that. It's akin though to someone making a dunk or pounding in a TD from a yard out and celebrating. Hell you see it in football where guys celebrate tackling a guy who got down field.

It's annoying but it happens in sports. That said I can't think off the top of my head who celebrated excessively on a penalty unless it was late or a potential winner.

As far as celebrating on their own, who really cares. Often times players give their teammates credit if their teammates did most of the work too.

Also holy **** Leo.

I personally find the flopping as a?fascinating part of the game. Unneeded? Yes... But for some teams and countries it's part of their culture (Think Italy) as compared to us arrogant Americans.

I usually laugh and appreciate the mental forethought that these guys are putting into it. It really is the most beautiful game. So simple and yet so complex.

I guess it's perspective. I'd rather see players master ball skills than flops skills. I can't stand it in the NBA either.

They would appear a lot more arrogant if they scored a PK and just went "Meh, easy peasy" They are in a no-win situation with you. As for celebrations in general, they are individuals, they will behave as such. That's no mystery, and no issue.

So it's either excessive celebration or "meh, easy peasy" with no middle ground? LOL no-win argument with you.

Enjoy fellas. USA!! USA!!

I guess it's perspective. I'd rather see players master ball skills than flops skills. I can't stand it in the NBA either.

Diving is an issue that needs to be better addressed. I don't think you will find many that disagree. Until that time, that is why we have curse words, so we can shout then at the referee/players

Or NHL, or NFL, or baseball (remember Jeter's HBP that hit the bat) people are always looking for an advantage in sports. Diving is a way of doing that. I'm not a fan even a little bit, but it's part of the game with certain countries/players.

What I abhor is people who flop on the ground and writhe in pain to kill the clock get carted off then hop up and asked to be subbed in. JMO if someone gets carted off the field they have to sit on the sidelines for 5 minutes or be subbed out. Or guys who do that should be shown a straight red.

So it's either excessive celebration or "meh, easy peasy" with no middle ground? LOL no-win argument with you.

Enjoy fellas. USA!! USA!!

OK, middle ground:- YaY!!! That was easy, yet somehow so unexpected due to the disputed degree of difficulty! Go me!!....And that guy over there! ;)

Back