Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am making another attempt at the Imperial version of this recipe today, see my earlier posts for reference. This time I am using my own home grown hops (oh ya!), plus I am cutting back on the amount of hops I am using. The last batch seemed to be just a wee bit too bitter for my liking. I am also going to ferment with Denny's Favorite 50 this time. Current version is attached as a pdf ( ;

Attachments

• Imperial Yooper's Oatmeal Stout 8-18-19.html.pdf
    89.9 KB · Views: 108
I made a 7.5 gal run of Yooper's original recipe this past week. Used Denny's which I ordered from Austin Home Brew. Was nervous about getting this shipped in the middle of our 100+ temps between Austin and OKC. Must say they did an outstanding job of double cold packs in a well packed box. The yeast arrived warm but not hot and made up a good starter. Fermentation of my wort started in hours and has been running strong at 64*F in my fridge. Hit all my numbers so I'm eager to see the results. Patience is a pain, not a virtue... :)

I just kegged up a 5 gal. batch of the original recipe today. Went from 1.060 down to 1.016 in 3 weeks so it's a solid 5.5% batch ( ;

I've decided to pull back from making the Imperial version lately for a couple of reasons. First was a request from a family member for the original. Second, I have not made the original in so long I felt it was time to revisit.

I am not convinced that simply doubling up on the ingredients was the way to go on those early imperial attempts. Anyways... this batch is conditioning/aging on the gas at 10psi for several weeks before I cold crash in the keezer.
:cask::mug:

Just a follow up on my August brew day. The batch is about half gone now. My new favorite stout without a doubt. Try it, you'll like it.

Cheers....

I've chosen this recipe for my 2nd ever all grain brew. Looks incredible and I love Oatmeal Stouts! I'll post how it's coming along once I receive my grains and get this brewed and in the fermenter. Thanks Yooper!

Got it brewed and in the fermenter! Gravity came out to 1.055 in the fermenter. Super excited as the brew day went well.
PXL_20210323_083942675.jpg

I had my efficiency set to 70% ended up with 73.5ish which is a good thing. I'm going to start milling my own grain so that should help.

Believe this will be my next batch, gonna do a 2.5 gallon size. Never done a stout before. How long are people aging this before drinking?

Mine sat in primary for 3 weeks. Then bottle conditioned for another week and a half and it was good to the last drop. It did change a little as it aged, but was very enjoyable throughout.

Brewing today, here’s my recipe scaled down to 2.5 gallons:

3lbs 2oz pale malt
7.3oz flaked oats
5.4oz victory malt
4.5oz chocolate malt (pale)
3.6oz flaked barley
3.6oz briess black barley (stout) (use roasted instead if they don't have it w/little bit of black patent for color)
3.6oz caramel/crystal 80L malt
0.9oz chocolate malt
0.9oz williamette 60min
WY1450

OP’s recipe calls for 4.8% Williamette, but the 2 bags I have are 6.0% and 7.8%. Not sure why they’re so much stronger but I’ll make due with the 6.0% stuff I guess.

I do a 2 week primary, and 30 day bottle age. Mine never lasts long enuff to find out what "really good" aging is! I've even drank a couple of bottles after a week or so in ageing, just becuz I was thirsty. My Stout is always good regardless of age, just like Porter is. Yooper's OatStout is great! Of course, you may not want to take my word for it ...... I drink Porters and Stouts almost exclusively, year 'round. Other than that, it's Simcoe Assault IPA, Homebrew cider and wine or Italian Homemade whiskey (legally made with Everclear.).

My 2.5 gallon batch fermenting away... moved upstairs from the basement just now since I hear WY1450 has a tendency to get stuck at lower temps.

What level do people generally like to carb this beer to?

Attachments

• 9BC0156B-2C56-4FD5-A205-392EC8BB3D0D.jpeg
    9BC0156B-2C56-4FD5-A205-392EC8BB3D0D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
I brewed this for a second time. This time I made a time lapse of the fermentation.

I used Wyeast 1028 London Ale the first time I brewed this, and I loved it.

This time I used 1450 Denny's favorite. It has only been carbing/aging for a few days in the keg at this point, but it tastes pretty good. I expect it will only get better as time goes on.

Here is the time lapse, though it is not as eventful as some of my other fermentations:

Bottled my batch today, came out to a FG of 1.012 after three weeks in primary. Tastes exactly like an oatmeal stout lol. Carbing to 2.0 volumes of CO2 and will crack one open at the three week mark, which will be six weeks total from brew day.

The finished product. Tastes good overall but I think I used the wrong black barley because it has a slight astringent quality I don’t care for. Next batch will use the correct grain.

Attachments

• BD2D47D9-03D0-4953-9E11-57F091C26AE5.jpeg
    BD2D47D9-03D0-4953-9E11-57F091C26AE5.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 14
Does anybody have a current link to an online store with the correct Black Barley (Stout)?

I’m about to brew this again but I want to make sure I’m using the right grain as first batch, like cgoleberg3, was a little harsh. Thanks.

Does anybody have a current link to an online store with the correct Black Barley (Stout)?

I’m about to brew this again but I want to make sure I’m using the right grain as first batch, like cgoleberg3, was a little harsh. Thanks.

Something like a Blackprinz or Midnight wheat would give lots of color, some flavor, and low bitterness. Might be what you want. Also check your water chemistry, could give some astringency that might get picked up as malt related?

Something like a Blackprinz or Midnight wheat would give lots of color, some flavor, and low bitterness. Might be what you want. Also check your water chemistry, could give some astringency that might get picked up as malt related?
In my case, I know it can’t be water chemistry cause I use the same water for every recipe so far and I’ve never encountered astringency before. But my LHBS has the correct black barley in stock so I should be good to go for my next batch.

I’m actually brewing another 5 gallon batch today that is intended to be ready for a wedding in October. First practice batch went over well enough despite my small complaint to earn it another go.

I brewed this for the first time this past holiday weekend. I've been brewing consecutive APAs and IPAs recently dialing in recipes and family requests. It's been a while since I brewed a stout.

What a relaxing brew day! Mash, Boil, One hop addition, Chill, Rack, Pitch.
No hop stands, hop bursting, whirlpool additions, dry hop timing. Biotransformation, bla bla bla
I love this beer and I haven't tasted it yet.

Brewing a small batch of this this weekend, but I was one of those people who go to the LHBS and was like "no black barley, isn't black patent the same", so there's that. Since BeerSmith describes black barley as "Coffee, Intense Bitter, Dry"...I have some Patagonia Coffee malt so maybe I will throw in like 2 ounces for the heck of it.

Going to brew a double batch of this on the weekend. Don't drink stout a lot but should....... it is great beer. I did brew a double choc oatmeal stout once and it was a hit.
Question about the black barley. I did not read all the pages!!!!
The local shop website shows black malt ( patent). I have a pound of roasted barley 500L at home. I don't think either is the right grain? I don't want the beer to taste astrigent.
Advice please? Thanks.

Last edited:
Going to brew a double batch of this on the weekend. Don't drink stout a lot but should....... it is great beer. I did brew a double choc oatmeal stout once and it was a hit.
Question about the black barley. I did not read all the pages!!!!
The local shop website shows black malt ( patent). I have a pound of roasted barley 500L at home. I don't think either is the right grain? I don't want the beer to taste astrigent.
Advice please? Thanks.

I use Briess’ black barley.

I use Briess’ black barley.
Sorry for late reply. Yooper that beer turned out fantastic! There are only a few pints left in the second keg as I do doubles and I think I drank the first one myself!!!!
Will be a tap regular for the fall and winter months ........ although it still snowed here today!!!!

Probably gonna brew this during the weekend. Ordered breiss black barley and the bag says black roasted barley. I assume its the right malt. Yeast arrived a little puffed as a recent post said.

Not worried just blabbering about an upcoming brew day.

Cheers

Finally brewed this today. Long brew day, battling the winter temps and a stuck sparge. Ended up overshooting the og by a bunch (1.064) but not worried about it, just know that i dont need to double crush my grains. Smells and taste delicious. Should be bubbling away soon.

Finally brewed this today. Long brew day, battling the winter temps and a stuck sparge. Ended up overshooting the og by a bunch (1.064) but not worried about it, just know that i dont need to double crush my grains. Smells and taste delicious. Should be bubbling away soon.
Bottled today. Seemed to be stuck at around 1.024. I brought it upstairs (68-70) for a week and shook it every other day or so. Put it in my garage for a week (my winter cold crash). Hopefully i dont end up with any bombs

Popped a few bottles the last couple days. Really solid. A tad sweet but delicious. Reminds me of Samuel Smiths with more depth. Ill work harder on ferm temps next time

Seemed to be stuck at around 1.024.
I'm drinking a batch of this that I bottled about 3 weeks back. It tastes great, but I had the same issue, went from 1.062 down to 1.025 and that's where it stopped.

I used Nottingham, pitched dry, and held the temp around 64 for the first few days and then let it free rise to 69 until day 15.

I'm drinking a batch of this that I bottled about 3 weeks back. It tastes great, but I had the same issue, went from 1.062 down to 1.025 and that's where it stopped.

I used Nottingham, pitched dry, and held the temp around 64 for the first few days and then let it free rise to 69 until day 15.
Im still lacking a fermentation chamber but my basement and house are decent temps. Basically did the same thing but for almost a month (too lazy to buy bottles, had to drink more homebrew). Glad to hear someone else experienced the same with a less finicky yeast in a controlled environment.

Back