Rotten taste in my IPA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torque2k

Reaction score
Howdy,

I brewed an IPA a few months ago. Because of the ridiculously busy summer my family had, I was unable to bottle it quickly. The plan was to leave it in the primary bucket for 3-4 weeks (that's been working great for me!), then bottle and wait a few weeks.

The beer was dry-hopped with almost four ounces of Centennial and Amarillo after four days (pellets thrown in dry). My numbers were one point off (1.066 instead of 1.065) at OG and one point off at FG (1.013) after two weeks. When I finally was able to bottle the batch, almost two months had passed. My airlock was kept topped off, and the bucket and lid are almost new (just replaced my last bucket three batches ago).

When bottled, I tasted the batch and found it had an almost rotten veggie taste to it. After being in the bottle for over three weeks now, it hasn't tapered off much.

Two things I can see being the problem: 1) I raised the temp on day two of primary fermentation to 70F, then when I dry-hopped I lowered it to 67F ambient (so probably still too hot), and the basement pretty much stayed at 67F for the whole two months. 2) Sitting on four ounces of pellet hops for two months may have been too much.

I did all of my cleaning and sanitization the same way I always do, soaking in OxyClean Free for an hour, rinse twice (first in water w/ tiny amount of vinegar, second time in plain water), then either soak in or spray on Star-San. Ingredients were all fresh from one of HBT's beloved advertisers (great luck with them for four batches now), starter of WLP001 was built up (around 2L, chilled and poured off).

What do you think could be causing this veggie taste/smell? And, will it go away in the bottle (my bet's on NO)?

I would bet on #2 sitting on the hop pellets for two months. That is really long for a dry hop.

sounds like that may be the problem. this may be a brew you'll have to sit on for a while to let it age. and get it off any hops

sounds like that may be the problem. this may be a brew you'll have to sit on for a while to let it age. and get it off any hops

Oh, it's bottled, so well off the hops. Sucks, too, as this brew was so clear after just two days in the bottle! Was really looking forward to a decent IPA; I've not had good luck previously. Well, it's fall, so maybe it's time to get back to the Scottish Ales and browns, something I can do really well with my water type... ;)

Well, the taste has certainly diminished but hasn't disappeared entirely. Body-wise, this beer was very good. I just needed to get it off the hops within a week or two instead of two months. Live and learn. It's almost drinkable, though, so I won't dump it. Maybe the neighbors will be less picky than I am. :)

Thanks again for everyone's help! Off to bottle my brown ale tomorrow...

Back