cold crashing at 20F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
all-i was thinking of taking my 42F carboy and putting it outside at 18F from midnight til 9am. it has been at 42F for 4 days... is that too cold for too long or would it work well as the cold crash? thanks!

Guys, he won't crack the carboy. I let mine sit outside until midnight last night and then I put a blanket around it and there was absolutely no ice on it. Not even a little skim. It was 21 degrees last night. If making ice were this easy, I'd still be ice fishing right now... :p

This is the first time i've even read about cold crashing - been looking around the last hour or so about it - What is the typical cold crash temp for ales? How long? What about kegging?

how about putting a sweatshirt around it to insulate a bit. Split the difference.

I have had my cooler in the 20s to crash cool a beer with no troubles, set a 6 degree gap from 26-32 if I remember right.

Well... Its time to put it out... I guess the bottom line is I am not gonna risk it.
It may work and clear the beer some... But if it freezes I would cry.
Thanks
All

Back