Huge boiling loss...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMBrewer

Reaction score
Did a batch of seriously bitter IPA today. Started with 10 gallons in keggle, didnt notice how furious the boil was. Boiled down to about 6 gallons in 60 minutes. Did lose about a gallon due to going from not boiling to mega boiling burn my hands on my lid situation. Should turn out great though but about 1/2 the beer. Hydro reads were great.

I didn't think it was physically possible to boil that much off in an hour. Unless you were using a jet engine.

"I don't thinks it's physically possible to boil that much off in an hour." I would agree that a 4 gal loss over 60 minutes is a bit extreme. I did my first AG batch this weekend using a 60 qt Polar and 4 propane burners (Viking stove) and I had a strong roiling boil going the entire time. I lost roughly 2+ gal or so based on my assumption that about 5 gal went into the BK and what went into the 6n gal BB carboy after cooling. However this was during a 90 min boil which the recipe called for but which was too long given the BTU's that the propane stove was producing. Montanaandy

Given sufficient surface area and BTUs in vs heat radiated out, it's possible to vaporize any amount of water in any amount of time. :)

Try putting identical amounts of water in a saucepan and a skillet. On the same burner, I'd be willing to bet the skillet loses all its water long before the saucepan does.

Given sufficient surface area and BTUs in vs heat radiated out, it's possible to vaporize any amount of water in any amount of time. :)

Try putting identical amounts of water in a saucepan and a skillet. On the same burner, I'd be willing to bet the skillet loses all its water long before the saucepan does.

I agree 100%, which is why it doesn't explain how he lost so much volume boiling in a keggle.

I can think of a few other answers, though:

A. Boilover
B. Leak
C. Massive loss due to trub, dead volume in MLT, hoses, etc.
D. Thermal expansion/compression
E. Misread initial volume
F. Misread final volume
G. Some combination of A-F

That is some serious boiloff, though I am losing 3.5 gallons per hour using a 24 gallon pot, and yes, I am using a jet burner, King Kooker is the brand I think, if any of you are not getting the heat you want, try that one.

I lost probably a gallon to overboil, had to help with the kid. The color of the wort looked great and should be tasty.

one time i lost 3g in 1 hour i was using a 15g keggle so its possible. just turn down burners next time.

Back