my first attempt at a chile beer what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSDracula

Reaction score
I'm piggybacking off of grassafrass's bluegrass pale ale
Here's the recipe

8oz honey malt
4oz crystal 20L
6lbs Munton's light DME
1oz cascade 60 min
1oz amarillo 30 min
0.5oz cascade 15 min
2oz Ancho chiles right into primary

ferment for 4 weeks with safale-05
bottle condition 3-4 weeks

Sounds good right? I'm brewing this tomorrow I will let everyone know how it turns out and add it to the recipes page if it ends up being pretty good.

I call it "This Ancho Average Pale Ale"

My opinion would be to cut out the 15 min hops, I think you need enough bitterness to support the malt but not have the hops compete with the chilies.

Well I had 0.5oz of cascade left over from a batch of graff I made. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of it.
What you're saying makes sense tho. I think I'll use the extra cascade for something else.
My opinion would be to cut out the 15 min hops, I think you need enough bitterness to support the malt but not have the hops compete with the chilies.

You need to talk to Tom at Rebel Brewer. I was in his store last night and got a sample of his chile beer.... really f*ing good. Super nice guy too, I'm sure he would be happy to talk to you.

Rebel Brewer

Well the brew is made.
Eliminated the late 0.5oz cascade hop addition. Added the chiles at knockout and let it sit for 10 min. Rather than pitch directly into primary.
OMG! the wort smelled so good! Good chile aroma.
I will post full recipe if it ends up tasting good. I'm thinking it will!

tried the gravity sample a few days ago
finished at 1.016 which is acceptable
tasted heavenly kinda like rouges chipotle ale but alot less spicy and alot more hop bite
I dig it!

I haven't been on the site in awhile as I have been unemployed but here is the final recipe for the "Ancho Average Pale Ale"

8oz honey malt
4 oz 20L crystal
*steeped at 155F for 30min no sparge

6lbs Munton's Light DME
* 3lbs at start of boil 3lbs at 30min

1oz Cascade 60min
1oz Amarrillo 30min

irish moss and 1 1/4tsp yeast nutrient at 15min

2oz dried Ancho chiles at knockout
* I tore the chiles up by hand and just tossed into the wort

yeast was Safale-05

4 weeks in primary no secondary as irish moss clears this beer up pretty well
4 weeks in bottle

This beer came out very well. I would say that it is the best one I have made. All other brews I have made were brew in the box kits from LHBS.

I haven't been on the site in awhile as I have been unemployed but here is the final recipe for the "Ancho Average Pale Ale"

8oz honey malt
4 oz 20L crystal
*steeped at 155F for 30min no sparge

6lbs Munton's Light DME
* 3lbs at start of boil 3lbs at 30min

1oz Cascade 60min
1oz Amarrillo 30min

irish moss and 1 1/4tsp yeast nutrient at 15min

2oz dried Ancho chiles at knockout
* I tore the chiles up by hand and just tossed into the wort

yeast was Safale-05

4 weeks in primary no secondary as irish moss clears this beer up pretty well
4 weeks in bottle

This beer came out very well. I would say that it is the best one I have made. All other brews I have made were brew in the box kits from LHBS.

Thanks for the update! This will probably be my next brew!

Cheers :mug:

Back