Brew Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
So after 2 years my brew bucket (aka plastic pail) as developed some small cracks in the bottom so I figured I should get a new one.

My plan is to use the old one for a botteling bucket and to sanitize equip in - while using the new one for a primary fermentor.

Am I taking a chance by using the old pail as bottling bucket - even though the bee is just in it for less then an hour is bacteria a risk even if i sanitize it - will bus jump out the little craks and ruin my beer?? Im thinking not cause ive had the tiny cracks for the last 4 months and have been using it as primary fermentor with no problems...

Any thoughts?

I'd use it to hold sanitizer and get a new bottling bucket.

+2 on using it for sanitizer...;)

When I make up a new batch of StarSan I place a date on a piece of tape and put it on the bucket so I know how old it is. If you use Iodophor then the tape's not necessary since it's only active for 24 hours.

I'm as cheap as anyone, but for ten bucks throw it away. Eventually it could leak five gallons of something all over the place and cost you dearly in money or time cleaning up a mess.

+2 on using it for sanitizer...;)

When I make up a new batch of StarSan I place a date on a piece of tape and put it on the bucket so I know how old it is. If you use Iodophor then the tape's not necessary since it's only active for 24 hours.

I disagree. DO NOT use it for StarSan storage. I had two gallons of StarSan leak though a six-month-old bucket, all over my kitchen floor.

It's not worth the few bucks. Throw the damn thing out.

I didn't catch that it was leaking... if it's leaking, of course, don't use it for sanitizer. You could still use it to store miscellaneous brewing stuff.

I disagree. DO NOT use it for StarSan storage. I had two gallons of StarSan leak though a six-month-old bucket, all over my kitchen floor.

It's not worth the few bucks. Throw the damn thing out.
I disagree with your disagreement...;)

I've been using a bucket for well over a year now w/SS in it 24/7...could even be over 2 years now that I think about it.

I disagree with your disagreement...;)

I've been using a bucket for well over a year now w/SS in it 24/7...could even be over 2 years now that I think about it.

You can disagree all you want, but if it were me, i wouldn't take the chance. My bucket was bought new from Home Depot (a white version of the Homer bucket) back in March, and now it is in the trash since it pissed StarSan all over my kitchen floor. I don't know why it happened, I don't know how it happened, but it happened.

Using a cracked bucket for anything is asking for a problem.

I didn't catch that it was leaking... if it's leaking, of course, don't use it for sanitizer. You could still use it to store miscellaneous brewing stuff.

While the OP didn't say "leaking", he did say "cracked". Cracking leads to leaking, in my experience. Heck, my bucket leaked without being cracked....

Back