Pale American Malt vs 2 Row Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bass-a-roo

Reaction score
i just bought Great Western Malting Company's Pale American malt because the store was all out of regular 2 Row. Will this work okay in something light like Biermuncher's Cream of 3 Crops Ale?

Here's what morebeer says about it (GR-305)"3L Great Western. Same as the Domestic 2-row malt but has slightly more color and a drier flavor. This malt is more like the British Pale Malt."

Couldn't find any info on this yet and was worried because this will be my first AG batch tomorrow. THanks everyone = )

I think your quote from morebeer just about covers it. It is an American base malt, just slightly different than plain old 2row. I would use it without hesitation, just keep in mind, if you make a beer you absolutely love with it, you'll have to go buy more later, because us 2row won't taste quite the same.

I think your quote from morebeer just about covers it. It is an American base malt, just slightly different than plain old 2row. I would use it without hesitation, just keep in mind, if you make a beer you absolutely love with it, you'll have to go buy more later, because us 2row won't taste quite the same.

You've struck a nerve with that last thought. One of my favorite homebrews is a 2-row/Chinook SMaSH. I have been meaning to try it with a pale malt instead of plain old 2-row, but it's just so damned delicious with 2-row that I haven't been able to try anything else.

Back