ale mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denvel

Reaction score
I want to make a traditional braggot/ale mead. Who has a good recipe or knows where I can find one?

I did an all-grain version of this a while back (it's pretty tasty from the last gravity sample), if you want I can dig up the converted recipe:

4 lbs light malt extract syrup
4lbs munich malt extract syrup
3lbs amber malt extract syrup
3.6lbs wheat hopped dried malt
12lbs wildflower honey (put 2lbs if possible in at the last 10 minutes)
5oz 90l crystal malts
10oz victory malt
1oz galena hops – 60 mins
.5 oz Columbus hops – 60 mins
.5 oz centennial hops 10 mins

It's from a buddy of mine and based on Brother Adam's Braggot. Mine stalled out at 1.038 or so using US05 (hasn't moved since January - jeez I gotta bottle or keg that thing), so I might go with his recco of champagne yeast.

There's a meadery out here (Rabbit's Foot) that make several, all based on different styles. From all the braggots I've tasted, it seems like you can base it on just about any style/recipe you like that's not aggressively hopped, and replace 30-50% of the fermentables with honey. My favorite is based on English barleywine, but I've had good ones based on kölsch and Belgian strongs.

Back