If nothing else, be a USA soccer fan today...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Up North

Reaction score
I know that I am not alone in my soccer fandome and I know that there are a lot of people out there that don't really enjoy the game, but look upon it like both a historical moment and a chance to see what the USA Soccer team goes up against in the world scene.

Today starting at 2:00pm ET on ESPN the USA takes on Brazil in the Final of the Confederations Cup (a World Cup dress rehearsal tournament).

The USA has not had a victory against Brazil since '98 and has only one one match in the 14 meetups. This very well could be just another loss or it could be that ever closer 2nd win that we fans have been waiting for. The team is strong enough (despite much negative press and negative discussions across the interweb) and will have to play at their highest level in order to win.

If you can, make the time (only two hours from start to finish unless it is a tie and goes to overtime) as it will be over before dinner. It is set to be a very exciting match hopefully and a great chance to watch our guys take on one of the best, and most beautiful playing, teams in the world.

On that note, I sadly have to work and am recording it at home and will officially turn of my computer, cell phone and any other device that might hint to me at the score until I return home and watch the match this evening. So I have another ten minutes from now before I am off the grid.

Cheers and Go USA!

And I am off! Enjoy the game if you watch it. I advise turning up the sound because then you get into it more, I even got my girlfriend to jump up and scream when the US scored. There are some really annoying horns that the South Africans blow from the start to finish so you can't hear the fans cheer.

Good Luck!

Weird- ESPN says bowling but shows Soccer.

ESPN 2 says Soccer but shows Poker.

Watching poker is ****ing gay

I don't mind watching soccer, but those damn horns drive me insane. It's like the guy at the golf tournament that yells "GET IN THE HOLE!"

dang, I wish I would have seen this earlier - I would have watched. I don't care for soccer, but I'm always up for a little USA cheering.

Maybe if they wouldn't allow "injured" players back on the field after being carted off I'd watch more.

dang, I wish I would have seen this earlier - I would have watched. I don't care for soccer, but I'm always up for a little USA cheering.

Then I am going to blame you for the loss.

Maybe if they wouldn't allow "injured" players back on the field after being carted off I'd watch more.
Behold, the power of the magic towel (or perhaps the magic spray).

It's all about the magic spray!

The games are two 45 minute halves. You are typically allowed only 3 substitutions, including injuries. If a guy goes off the field injured, and you put someone on to replace him, one of your three allowed for the whole game are gone.

So, you don't typically see injured people going off and coming back on unless its a real injury, because those substitutions are precious!

It's not like basketball where at the end of games you often can have substitutions every dead ball/possession. In soccer, 3 total and they usually save at least one for a big injury at the end of the game, and one for fresh legs in the last 15 minutes to boost up the offense or the defense, so typically there's only a single substitution actually used in the game somewhere. Talk about needing all 11 players to bring their A games every game!

Definately the magic spray. 3-2 is admirable if it was a battle the entire game. I have to say that I was pumped up until the last five minutes. I don't mind a good match of goals, but I mind a poor defense of goals. Nothing worse than watching your team play so very well only to lose it in the end by playing so poorly. I would love to say that they gave it their all in the second half, but no...they played 100% in the first half and about 60% in the second and it showed from the first minute of the second when Brazil scored in the first thirty seconds.

For those that watched, thanks. For those that didn't, the US is a team that you want to win and they are so freaking close on the world stage. A stage that cares not about American Football, baseball or basketball on the same stage as Football (Soccer). The Gold Cup starts in July and the World Cup is next June so for those of you who do and do not care, make sure to watch (if nothing else) next June when we go back on the world stage and play all of the major teams. It is a month long program and will be so exciting to watch not only the USA but also the rest of the world including Italy, Spain, England, Germany, France, Japan, Korea, China, Brazil, Argentina (if they make it), Costa Rica, Mexico (if they make it), The Netherlands (always a great time and one of the first to get into the World Cup), Australia, Ghana, South Africa and so many more that after three IPA's I can't name off the top of my head.

Don't forget, the Gold Cup is July and features all of the teams from the local category that is CONCACAF (North and Central America and the Caribean). If you are into the USA team then all of the games are on ESPN, the Spanish speaking channels such as Univision and Telemundo will have most of the games as well. I watch them none the less but it is tough to not understand what the commentators are saying for those that don't follow the game. I luckily know what is happening and don't listen to the English Commentators, so will happily watch the spanish speaking channels.

Damn!! I'm really pissed that I missed watching this live! 2-0 up at half time was a victory in itself against Brazil. I'll have to catch a re-run now......and that just ain't right! :(

USA is coming closer all the time to winning real honours in world football, and soon after that happens, despite all the kicking and moaning about how gay it is Americans will start watching it. When that happens they will understand what passion in sport is really all about. :D

Edit: I hadn't read the above post when I mentioned how close the USA really are to something good. :)

Latest posts

Back