My easy way of removing Guiness widgets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerslave73

Reaction score
First rinse inside bottle.
Next cut off plastic label with a razor blade.
next use a hook pick or a 90 degree pick and turn bottle upside down.
insert pick into bottle neck and hold bottle up to light to hook the end of the widget farthest from the bottle end and it will pull right out. My needle nose kept slipping off the widget. The pick never does. Removes the widget in about 1 second.

I'm interested also in what you do with the widget. The way I took one out was with 3 paper towels and a hammer.

I just use needle-nose pliers. I smash the nose in with the pliers to get a grip and pull. Works for me so far.

I'm interested also in what you do with the widget. The way I took one out was with 3 paper towels and a hammer.

The widget you throw away. The bottle you fill with beer.

They're neat-shaped bottles, and the plastic comes off even easier than the easiest paper labels.

I sometimes have to try more than once to get the widget out, but my needlenose has been working well. Love those bottles. Yank the widget, slit the label, and soak in oxy. Done.

Latest posts

Back