Good places to order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElJefeBrews

Reaction score
I can't seem to find a homebrew shop anywhere near me. Where would be a good place you would recommend ordering supplies from?

I get my stuffz from

B.I.Y. Homebrew supply
147 Marion Blvd #C, Marion, IA 52302
(319) 373-BEER

The shop owners name is "Joe" whom used to post here and the guy has youtube series on how to homebrew under the name "terpsichoreankid"
his prices are comparable to his competition and he will answer any questions that you may have about brewing.

Paps said:
I get my stuffz from B.I.Y. Homebrew supply 147 Marion Blvd #C, Marion, IA 52302 (319) 373-BEER The shop owners name is "Joe" whom used to post here and the guy has youtube series on how to homebrew under the name "terpsichoreankid" his prices are comparable to his competition and he will answer any questions that you may have about brewing.

Cool dude. I watch his YouTube shtuff.

Shop around.

Morebeer.com just upgraded in shipping. They opened distribution in PA as well as the original CA(right?) location, which means depending on where you are in the country, you get your package in like 2 days. Free shipping after $59. For yeast, it's killer.

Rebelbrewer.com is cool. Labelpeelers.com is great. Lots to choose from.

Austin Homebrew. Northern Brewer and Midwest have terrible shipping costs.

MoreBeer was OK before they jacked up their prices without improving their knock-off selectiom.

I like Midwest, cause I have a package at my door the next day, every time. Shipping does seem pretty steep though... Austin has more beer kits than i've ever seen though so I'll probly try them next time I order.

Where are you located though? I never realized how many brew suppliers were actually around till i started looking and asking. their everywhere!

Williams Brewing has reasonable shipping and is prompt about getting orders out the door. Their LME is is priced competitively. $1 off when you buy 8 bags. They are knocking 10% LME through September 25.

I used Brewer's Warehouse but I don't like the back ordered thing. Austin has comparable prices and shipping times and good shipping costs.
They also don't let you place an order unless it is in stock. Let's be real, would a brick and mortar store make you beleive they have something in stock, have you buy it, then say at the register "oh sorry, it may be in in a few days". I hate that!

For hops, I love farmhouse brewing supply. For quick turn around time I use love2brew. They can get me an order in 2-3 days with standard shipping (I'm in New York).

The others mentioned are very solid: austinhomebrew, Midwest, northern brewer, etc

I've been really happy with Farmhouse Brewing Supply. I used to use Brewmaster's Warehouse but they have had some problems for a while so I had to look other places.

Shipping can kill you. That is why I never order from Midwest or Northern Brewer.

ElJefeBrews said:
I can't seem to find a homebrew shop anywhere near me. Where would be a good place you would recommend ordering supplies from?

The are many good mail order options. Pick one close to you. Have a one or two day shipping time is nice since you'll probably want yeast at some point.

I live in the upper Midwest and use Northern Brewer mostly, sometime Midwest Supply. More Beer is great if you are in California and they have a new distribution point in the east - in Pennsylvania i think.

Any suggestions within Canada? I have some good places in town where I live, but wouldn't mind some other options for additional kit variety.

Looks like I have some shopping around to do. I'm in Southern California

Williams Brewing is in the Bay area. I'd think you would be able to get orders the next day. Might even be economical to buy their 32 lb bulk LME in spite of actual price shipping. The Light comes in at $54 + $14 shipping to LA area. That comes to a sweet $2.13/lb.

I second all the mentioned sites. I live on the east coast so I limit my sites to midwest for the most part. There are some in Colorado and California that make shipping times longer for me so I go closer.

I also use the cart to compare prices. Add all the items, check the shipping and order from the lowest/closest.

Without a doubt morebeer has great customer service and extremely fast shipping. I placed an order on Wednesday morning and within an hour I received the shipped notice. I live in Alabama and standard shipping arrived in two days .

Northern brewing sold me some old yeast, so I have avoided them recently.

ElJefeBrews said:

Williams also has great prices on hops by the ounce. About 6 months ago I did a comparison with all the major suppliers and Williams was almost half the price of some.

$30.62 Austin Homebrew
$29.27 Northern Brewer
$28.17 Midwest Supplies
$24.76 Morebeer
$20.53 Brew Brothers
$18.90 Williams Brewing

Williams also has great prices on hops by the ounce. About 6 months ago I did a comparison with all the major suppliers and Williams was almost half the price of some.

$30.62 Austin Homebrew
$29.27 Northern Brewer
$28.17 Midwest Supplies
$24.76 Morebeer
$20.53 Brew Brothers
$18.90 Williams Brewing

If you're going to go with hops, it's better to buy direct from the growers than go through a homebrew supplier.

NadoHawk said:
If you're going to go with hops, it's better to buy direct from the growers than go through a homebrew supplier.

If I am going to buy a pound or more, I buy from Hops Direct. If I need 2 ounces of Chinook, I buy from Williams.

bleme said:
If I am going to buy a pound or more, I buy from Hops Direct. If I need 2 ounces of Chinook, I buy from Williams.

Who would you recommend in terms of growers?

NadoHawk said:

(This is the one I meant to quote)

Every one listed above is a good option.
But let's just think about this for a second.

Internet shops that sell beer brewing stuff. It's not a very big market.
Anyone playing in that space had better be very good, because the community is small & we all talk to each other. Good reports & bad (look at vendor reviews on this board)

So , basically, any of the major vendors have survived because they have *mostly* got it done right.
Not all the time & not every time, but mostly.

tl;dr
You will be ok with & done right with what the folks above say.

(This is the one I meant to quote)

Having never purchased from the previously mentioned HopsDirect, I would still say this is a good place to look based off the accounts of other homebrewers; they just never have the hops I want in stock when I am looking.

I've tried Oregon growers and Yakima Valley hop growers and I prefer the quality of the latter....mainly Willamette Hops since they offer nice discounts on their eBay store and their packaging is better than what the homebrew stores offer.

http://stores.ebay.com/Willamette-Valley-Hops (cheap single ounce hop prices with free shipping on those selections and you can get good deals on their auctions....few know about this store relative to the other ones on eBay)....IMO, eBay is one of the best sources for direct hops. Only reason I stopped is because I went overboard and have 1.5 pounds of unused hops now, which don't fit my recipes.

If you are looking for whole hops, I've not had the best experience with them being shipping online.

Mind you, the American hop growers (other than HopsDirect, which has almost everything) tend to produce high alpha and "C" (classic American hops such as Cascade, Chinook, Columbus used quite extenstively in American pale ales/IPA for those citrus bombs)....I tend to buy from the homebrew stores for the noble variety (Halleratu @ .75 an ounce the other day for the Tradition variety and Saaz) or unique ones (Citra...spent 2.50 an ounce the other day just because I was tired of waiting for it to come in stock).

Where are you in SoCal? Unless you are really inland you should have some local shop. I have been to MoreBeer in Riverside, Homebrew Mart in SD, all of the OC shops, Steinfillers in LB plus others in LA....

Palm Springs area. Beer scene here kinda sucks. I die a little inside when I go to yardhouse and see someone order light beer

Palm Springs area. Beer scene here kinda sucks. I die a little inside when I go to yardhouse and see someone order light beer

You are maybe an hour away from Morebeer in Riverside. It is a trek but nothing beats shopping in a LHBS vs online in my opinion. Plus the guys there know their stuff and love talking beer. I am about an hour away on the other side and I try to make it out there every couple of months or so.

brettg20 said:
You are maybe an hour away from Morebeer in Riverside. It is a trek but nothing beats shopping in a LHBS vs online in my opinion. Plus the guys there know their stuff and love talking beer. I am about an hour away on the other side and I try to make it out there every couple of months or so.

I'll have to make my way out there soon. Especially just getting started I need to have a good look around and chat with knowledgable people in person

Do they sell the 50lb grain sacks there?

The Coachella Valley Homebrew Club meets the first Thursday of the month, 7:00 PM, at Schmidy's in Palm Desert.

The club seems to be connected to Coachilla Valley Brewing. My brew club has a deal with the local brewery for members to buy bulk grains at cost. I imagine CVHC probably does too.

bleme said:
The Coachella Valley Homebrew Club meets the first Thursday of the month, 7:00 PM, at Schmidy's in Palm Desert.

The club seems to be connected to Coachilla Valley Brewing. My brew club has a deal with the local brewery for members to buy bulk grains at cost. I imagine CVHC probably does too.

Yea I'm thinking of checking it out next month

I was at Coachella Valley Brewing last weekend.. They told me they're going to be selling homebrew supplies soon... May be worth a look... Otherwise morebeer riverside is probably worth the trek..

B2Barleywine said:
I was at Coachella Valley Brewing last weekend.. They told me they're going to be selling homebrew supplies soon... May be worth a look... Otherwise morebeer riverside is probably worth the trek..

No way! I've only been there once a few days after it opened. I'm pretty sure the head brewer is in the CVHC. I need to go back there soon especially since the coriolis comes out on Friday. I've been itching for more local craft brew

morebeer does and at great prices.

Well I live in San Diego, so it might be worth a trip in the future to crab a few bags...only issue is I have a Corolla and saw a co-worker put a Green Flash 15.5 gallon keg in his car...it dropped a foot.

Back