My single tier build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a while. I got my pumps, most of my fittings and my sight glasses/thermometers.

Here are some of the fittings:

Fittings-1.jpg

I really like this brewstand and I am thinking about making one just like it. Can you list all the parts that you used for you propane setup please. thank you.

Excuse my ignorance...but from the picture it looks like quick connects? If that is the case, why use more than one pump?

I know that those are quick disconnects. On the previous page was a picture of the propane system. sorry for being unclear.

I really like this brewstand and I am thinking about making one just like it. Can you list all the parts that you used for you propane setup please. thank you.

Unfortunately I don't have a listing of all the parts. I used 3/8" compression fittings with flexible copper tubing from Home Depot. It was a lot of work and if I did it over again I'd probably just order the custom hoses from ONEHOPPYGUY.
To use the compression fittings you need a flaring tool:
IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

The copper is flexible but it was a pain to get lined up and leak free.

Here is my Mash recirculation/sparge manifold. I need to figure out what size holes should be drilled in it.

IMG_1781.jpg

I'm jumping back to the start of this post. I cut metal all day long, its my job. I work mostly with aluminum but also steel. Steel should be cut at low RPMs. Speed adjustments or a steel saw are ideal for cutting steel. They also make "abrasive" blades (basically a huge grinder disc) that work well at higher rpms. The abrasive discs cost under $10 for my company and can be installed on a standard chop saw.
Your cuts and welds look excellent, and they cleaned up so nice. I hope the build go smoothly!

dutchoven said:
Nice setup on the chiller ... I like the thermo mount ... Which model chiller? Duda, I assume?

Thanks, it's the Duda B3-23A-30ST

This rig is absolutely beautiful. For an extract guy like myself, considering going to all grain, this is stupendous. Thanks for shearing the pics and your journey!

This rig is absolutely beautiful. For an extract guy like myself, considering going to all grain, this is stupendous. Thanks for shearing the pics and your journey!

Thanks, this is how I'm currently brewing 5 gal all grain.
I can't wait to finish up and start using the new setup.

951f4ae8.jpg

I've taken a step back and decided to automate my HLT and MLT temps. I estimate I'll start brewing on the new setup in June.

So I decided to go automated on the HLT and MLT.

Valves:
IMG_1880.jpg

Pilot mounted:
IMG_1879.jpg

Control box:
IMG_1885.jpg

I still need to wire it all up.

Are those intermittent pilots? If so, where did you decide to put the ignition modules? I am currently trying to sort this out in my own build (which borrows a lot from yours)

Are those intermittent pilots? If so, where did you decide to put the ignition modules? I am currently trying to sort this out in my own build (which borrows a lot from yours)

The pilots are always on so no extra ignition modules. Basically before brewing I plan on lighting both pilots. After that, burner ignition will be handled by the Honeywell valves.

n2fooz said:
The pilots are always on so no extra ignition modules. Basically before brewing I plan on lighting both pilots. After that, burner ignition will be handled by the Honeywell valves.

Ok thanks. I made my heat shields last night very much like yours, but they didn't come out looking quite as slick. Props, that was a PITA

I bent them around a twelve inch bucket, also my sheet metal was salvaged from the scrap pile at work and had already been bent, so I had to start by hammering it flat again. If I ever do this again, I will certainly take the time to make the jig. Here is a pic if you want to see your influence

ForumRunner_20120524_071542.jpg

Nice. Building a stand is a lot of work isn't it? No wonder they're so expensive:D

Nice build! I must say that this build inspired me to build a single tier myself, and I used your cut list so I am building a clone. I have the stand built and painted and am now ready to get the burners. Where did you get the burners? I am looking at NB, 3 burners and a 30psi regulator/hose for around $160 which seems to be comparable to all that I have found.

Nice build! I must say that this build inspired me to build a single tier myself, and I used your cut list so I am building a clone. I have the stand built and painted and am now ready to get the burners. Where did you get the burners? I am looking at NB, 3 burners and a 30psi regulator/hose for around $160 which seems to be comparable to all that I have found.

Thank you. Those are the burners that I got, it seemed to be the best deal.
I've been remodeling my kitchen so finishing the brewstand got put off for a bit.

Nice, I just placed the orders for the burner and regulator kit. I am the opposite on the remodel, the brew stand is my distraction from a never ending 5 year whole house remodel.

Thought I would give you an update and show you my clone of your single tier. It's getting close, I just need to plumb up the burners. Eventually I will automate the MT and HLT but I want to get a few batches in manually first. Still need to get the pumps and finish up my keggles.

2012-08-25_18-41-05_254.jpg

Thought I would give you an update and show you my clone of your single tier. It's getting close, I just need to plumb up the burners. Eventually I will automate the MT and HLT but I want to get a few batches in manually first. Still need to get the pumps and finish up my keggles.

View attachment 73280

Nice! Great job.

Here is a rendering of what I'm talking about. The standoffs will help protect against scratching the paint when moving the kettles around.

Brewstand-Standoffs.jpg

I aquired a single tier from a guy and it doesn't have these, actually alot of the threads I've looked at don't, and I was wondering how critical they are? I'm making mine automated soon and will be changing the gas plumbing to match yours...Love the 2" framing, unfortunately mine is 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 ish..
Great Thread

May need some gas line from OHG..

These were recommended by another member to help vent underneath the kegs and supposedly this helps with heating. I like them because they help hold the kegs with the screw heads being proud of the surface like that. Also they make it so the kegs won't scratch the paint from the frame.

Excellent job so far on your rig n2fooz! Been enjoying your progress and your posts so far.

Good luck on finishing the rest of it!

John

I aquired a single tier from a guy and it doesn't have these, actually alot of the threads I've looked at don't, and I was wondering how critical they are? I'm making mine automated soon and will be changing the gas plumbing to match yours...Love the 2" framing, unfortunately mine is 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 ish..
Great Thread

May need some gas line from OHG..

Depending on how your heat shields are designed, especially if they encircle completely around the burners and the exhaust gases have no where to go. The burners need to breathe and it can be trial and error sometimes with each stand and kettle/keggle configurations being different. You can see the difference if you get the blue flames with yellow tips without the keggle on the stand and then when you put the keggle in place the flames change color, or the flame size varies, or the flames go up the sides of the keggle.

You can then raise the keggle 1/2 inch or higher (again trial and error) and see if this corrects the problem. One guy on here uses bolts between the keggle and the stand to raise the keggles off the stand so the exhaust gases can disipate, and oxygen can mix and enter for proper combustion. Then the proper flame size and color can be achieved.

Once fine tuned this will give you better gas efficiency and you will be able to fine tune the gas/flame/heat relationship and achieve the most practical and useable btu's out of your burners, for your particular set up. So if you can't get the proper results with the keggle sitting on the stand try raising it up off the stand and see if this solves the problem. If this does it then you may want to permanently attach stand offs on you rig. But again each set up is different and some need stand offs and some rigs don't. Trial and error makes up a lot of what we do on these brew rigs to make them better!

Hope this helps a little,

John

n2fooz: first off, beautiful build! You have inspired me to build my stand finally and I want to thank you for being so thorough and detailed. My question is, what kind of casters did you use? I want to make sure I get something that is heavy duty enough to support all the weight this will hold once in use. Thanks again!

n2fooz: first off, beautiful build! You have inspired me to build my stand finally and I want to thank you for being so thorough and detailed. My question is, what kind of casters did you use? I want to make sure I get something that is heavy duty enough to support all the weight this will hold once in use. Thanks again!

Thank you. I got 3in stem castors from Harbor freight. The nuts were tricky to find. Lowes had them but neither Harbor Freight or Home Depot had them.

This is an awesome build! thanks for posting everything here. I'm working on the plans for a system of my own and trying to source out parts. I see on the pic of your control panel you have an LED display (for temps) i'm assuming. What temp probes are using? Trying to find temp probes that will wire into an LED display on my control box. Also, what are you using to automate the gas flow on your MLT/HLT.

Looking forward to see how this looks when it it complete.

This is an awesome build! thanks for posting everything here. I'm working on the plans for a system of my own and trying to source out parts. I see on the pic of your control panel you have an LED display (for temps) i'm assuming. What temp probes are using? Trying to find temp probes that will wire into an LED display on my control box. Also, what are you using to automate the gas flow on your MLT/HLT.

Looking forward to see how this looks when it it complete.

Thanks. I'm using PID controllers (Auber Instruments SYL-2362)

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=106

The RTD sensors are also on the site:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=286

For the gas valves I'm using Honeywell
http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-VR8200A2132-1-2-24-Vac-Standing-Pilot-Gas-Valve-11588000-p

Check out jlandin's thread it helped me a lot.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-new-brew-system-brutus-10-some-nice-modifications-172927/

I am about 90% done with a clone of your stand. Thank you so much for your detailed diagrams and feedback on this thread.

I printed the diagrams and cut list, ordered steel, and 6 hours later...this:

20121222_123700.jpg

20121222_145726.jpg

This thread has me thinking about building another system :D

I, like you, had never welded in my life, a MIG system sure does make it easy to get a good result. I built my stand for 5 gallon kettles but have since migrated to 10 gallon batches and this thread is a good reason to consider building another stand!

I must also commend you on your patience! You've been putting a lot of time in to this build and your efforts look great! What are you going to do for a control panel to mount your automation controls to?

this is a great looking setup. one thing worth mentioning, you may want to rotate the pump head so the output is pointing UP instead of sideways. helps with removing air and priming the pumps.

this is a great looking setup. one thing worth mentioning, you may want to rotate the pump head so the output is pointing UP instead of sideways. helps with removing air and priming the pumps.

Yep! Index those heads with the output up as mentioned above! Advice I took straight from Walter at March Pumps! VERY easy to prime!!!

Back