pulled pork

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriktlupus

Reaction score
since it went over so well at the michigan predators fall brew day.

5-7# pork shoulder(boneless preferred)
1 large candy onion quartered and sliced thin
2-3 cloves garlic sliced thin
2 cups flat coke

trim the excess fat from the shoulder and rub with the garlic. in the grill smoke the pork for 2 hrs on high heat(300). bring the shoulder in and place in a large crockpot. add the onions, garlic aand coke and cook on high till the meat falls apart when trying to lift it(between 6-8 hrs for me) with a pair of tongs. pull the pork out and shred with a fork. while doing this place a piece of bread in the pot(it will soak up the fat) pull it out and discard, or feed to the dogs. return the shredded pork to the pot and keep warm till serving.

Pretty good huh? I've never cooked with soda, but I know I've seen others use it when braising pork chops and stuff. I guess this isn't much different.

I've had ham with Mt. Dew that was real good. I think my wife has done a roast with coke once and it was real good. Plus I've had eriktlupus's pulled pork and can attest.

If you want something completely different.....

Rub a piece of pork shoulder with curry powder(I make my own but store bought will work) and brown in a skillet. Place in the crockpot or dutch oven with 1 can coconut milk, several thai red chilis, siriacha hot sauce and either fresh mango or fresh pineapple and cook for 6-8 hours and shred. Serve with rice

Rub a piece of pork shoulder with curry powder(I make my own but store bought will work) and brown in a skillet. Place in the crockpot or dutch oven with 1 can coconut milk, several thai red chilis, siriacha hot sauce and either fresh mango or fresh pineapple and cook for 6-8 hours and shred. Serve with rice

Sounds great... a Thai/Malaysian twist on pulled pork. I'll have to try that.

I actually try to cook with beer as often as possible, but it seems that I end up cooking with wine much more often.

Now that I've got a keg I started throwing a dash of beer into anything I think could use it, its like having a marinade on tap.

That does sound awesome! If you used green or red curry paste instead of powder, that would almost be like panang or well, curry.

Back