Bottles-Bottles-Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceb07

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the difference between Claret-Bordeaux-and Hock bottles are? Also is there a rule of thumb for which type and color of bottle is to be used for the types, colors etc. of wines. I have been using clear bottles mostly but have used green and brown (amber) as well. Hard to decide which to use for Skeeter Pee.

Claret/bordeaux bottles are the ones with the round shoulders and distinct neck (e.g. Merlot). Burgundy bottles are the ones with smooth sloping shoulders that flow into the neck (e.g. Chardonnay). Hock bottles are similar to Burgundy bottles but taller and slightly narrower (e.g. Gewurztraminer). Typically darker colors are used for reds, light green or clear for whites.

If you wanted to showcase the color and clarity of the Skeeter Pee, I would use clear bottles. If you wanted to just bottle it like a white, I would use the green Burgundy bottles. For single servings (more or less depending on ABV), you could always bottle it in 12 oz beer bottles.

Pretty much go ahead and bottle in whatever you'd like. You could always do a mix of a few different colors, shapes, and sizes.

Latest posts

Back