replace crystal 10 with 20?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brando632

Reaction score
I just made the jump to all grain, but when buying my grain at the LHBS, they had no crystal 10, and said to just use 20. How will this affect a brew? If this happens again should I adjust the amount of the 20? Seems like most of the recipes I look at in the recipe section want crystal 10.

You cannot adjust the amount of one crystal to get the character of another. The difference between 10 and 20 is not that big and you will be fine. Sure it will be different, but still pretty close.

As far as color goes you should use half the amount of crystal 20 vs 10. Of course you will lose fermentables that way.

As far as color goes you should use half the amount of crystal 20 vs 10. Of course you will lose fermentables that way.

???

Crystal isn't fermentable, you will lose gravity points and alter the body of the beer if you cut the crystal amount in half

Bensiff said:
You cannot adjust the amount of one crystal to get the character of another. The difference between 10 and 20 is not that big and you will be fine. Sure it will be different, but still pretty close.

Couldn't agree more !! I subbed 60L for 10L in a recipe, using beer alchemy to adjust the srm, etc... And it's not the same beer. Not even close !!

Latest posts

Back