highly carbonated bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdufford

Reaction score
Do you guys ever find yourselves "double pouring" a bottled beer that's super carbonated? I've found that I enjoy the taste of relatively lightly carbed beer, and I've had a number of home brews turn out too carbonated. I've found that after the initial pour, if I just grab another glass, pour the beer again into that, the beer tastes so much better. The true flavor of the beer really shines through.

I'm thinking I need to back down a bit from 4.5 oz bottling sugar.

Just curious if any of you guys have ever done that.

Do you guys ever find yourselves "double pouring" a bottled beer that's super carbonated? I've found that I enjoy the taste of relatively lightly carbed beer, and I've had a number of home brews turn out too carbonated. I've found that after the initial pour, if I just grab another glass, pour the beer again into that, the beer tastes so much better. The true flavor of the beer really shines through.

I'm thinking I need to back down a bit from 4.5 oz bottling sugar.

Just curious if any of you guys have ever done that.

You really don’t want to use 4.5 oz for every beer. All beer/styles require different amounts of sugar to prime properly. Use one of the charts to determine the proper amount for your style next time. And IMO when I don’t bother with the charts and wing it stick with 4oz. Here is one chart but you can find many more. Good luck! :mug:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

I have been having the same issues for the last 6-9 months. most all my brews are overcarbed, and had two bottles burst on me. Most of the time i'm using 3 oz of Corn sugar... i'm scratching my head most of the time... and pouring into a huge quart glass to keep from pouring over the sink everytime.

good point, the ones that burst finished at 1.034 and wouldn't budge even with adding more yeast and rousing the yeast... thought it was initially a mash thermometer calibration issue... now not so sure.

Thanks

good point, the ones that burst finished at 1.034 and wouldn't budge even with adding more yeast and rousing the yeast... thought it was initially a mash thermometer calibration issue... now not so sure.

Thanks

How much yeast are you using in these beers? Could you be under pitching?

How much yeast are you using in these beers? Could you be under pitching?

HA, if anything i'm overpitching... the yeast from the bursted beer was pure slurry from a local brewery, and most of my beers are given somewhere between a 1.5-2.5L starter.

HA, if anything i'm overpitching... the yeast from the bursted beer was pure slurry from a local brewery, and most of my beers are given somewhere between a 1.5-2.5L starter.

Hmmm...makes wonder about the actual live cell count of that slurry? Not to mention,temps for that yeast,& how much ABV it can tolerate before giving up.?

Hmmm...makes wonder about the actual live cell count of that slurry? Not to mention,temps for that yeast,& how much ABV it can tolerate before giving up.?

Yeast was Wyeast 1098 and was a large clump that was dropped in just prior to whirlpool to aerate, OG was 1.090, FG 1.033. slow to start but i don't have a ferm temp... probably in the high 60's. Primary for almost a month.

Midwest says it's a British ale yeast that ferments well down to 65F. It can tolerate 10%ABV as well. I was concerned with the yeast's condition when you got it from the local brewery.

Idk,I just can't shake the feeling that the brew is under-attenuated. I wonder if the ABV went over 10%,which is the yeast's ceiling.

Back