Iwaki MD70 RLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palefire

Reaction score
I know there are a few people on the board who have this pump - I may be able to get a used one pretty cheap, and I'm just wondering how it's been working for people.

They're crazy strong (1/4 HP, 1500GPH, 31.8 Max head). I'm just wondering, for those who've been using one, how loud it is (i.e. can I run it inside while the kid is sleeping), and, honestly, if it'd be too much pump for my purposes. I do mostly 5 gallon batches, though could see myself moving up to 10 gallons at some point. I'd use it in a Brutus 20-style system, but also to whirlpool for chilling.

Even if it's more powerful than what I need, the price would be too good to pass up if it'd work. Anyone who has one willing to chime in?

Thanks!

I did a search via google and could not find anything that indicated what the maximum temperature was for your pump. It is an aquarium pump so I assume that the temperature is low. There is a member here named Pickles and I recall him having a couple of similar Iwaki pumps and they failed when the temperature went above 150*. You could use it to transfer cooled wort to your fermenter.

Iwaki MD70 RLT

...or you could use it to segue into reefkeeping! :D

It's a great pump, but I've no experience with it for brewing. If you're looking for cheaper (than March pump) options, maybe go for the Chugger?

Iwaki pumps are great...as are Little Giant; it's just the temperature\price\composition combination that keep March (and Chugger) as a favorite for homebrewing...IMO.

Thanks for the advice ... Yeah, I'm definitely aware of the Chugger (been following the Chugger threads pretty closely!), but I can get this one for pretty damn cheap. Even cheaper than the Chugger. Plus it has way more horsepower and max head, so even if I end up going to 10 gallons I'm sure it could get a crazy whirlpool going.

Pump specs say max temp is 176, but on some other thread someone posted about having actually called Iwaki... they said they'd put 176 because they hadn't actually tested higher temps, since they'd had no reason to. And I know that there are plenty of brewers out there who've been using Iwaki pumps. I'm really just asking because I haven't brewed with a pump before, and I'm wondering how loud it'd be. Also if the 1" input/outputs would be a problem.

Jeez, the more I write, the more I'm thinking I maybe started the thread just to talk myself into buying it!

Palefire - did you end up buying the pump? I picked up two Iwaki's a while back (MD-30 and MD-40). I've been too scared to try anything above mash temps with them... I'd love to hear more about your experience with Iwaki, if you did end up picking one up?

thanks

Well, I ended up not buying that specific pump, but getting an MD-30 instead. 1/16 HP for $50 (ebay) just seemed too good a deal to not try. So far I've only used it for mash recirc (2 brews), and it's worked great.

This weekend I finally set things up to use the pump for whirlpool chilling. Planning on brewing in a few days ... if you want, I'll post back to say how the pump does with boiling wort.

Just to follow up ... I brewed a few days ago and used the pump for whirlpool chilling. It worked great. Actually had to throttle it down a bit with the boiling wort since there were bubbles getting into the input line, which doesn't happen with cooler liquid, even when the pump is fully open. Keeping the ball valve on the output side about 1/2 open solved the problem. Even so, there was plenty of power left to get a nice circulation going in the BK. Cleaned up as usual afterwards and everything seems fine.

In retrospect, other than the pump stopping while pumping, or making weird noises or something, I'm not sure exactly what "not working right" would look like. As is, though, I'm super happy with the pump. Primes extremely easily, has tons of power, seems to do fine with boiling wort ... not sure what the negatives are. It'll take a few more brew sessions with it before I feel confident enough to say that the worriers might be wrong, but so far it seems like a great piece of equipment.

Oh, and BTW, whirlpool chilling is just plain awesome. Shaved 10 minutes off of my usual chilling time, and there's absolutely no work involved - just set everything up and let it go.

No problem - feel free to post your experiences with the pumps, too, if you start using them for high-temp wort!

hmmm.... looked quickly ... I remember running across this one when looking for a pump. Can't find any temp ratings, though. Do you think it'd work for boiling wort?

Old thread I know but there is conflicting information on this website

Liquid Temperature To Be Handled
px 6-60 Degrees
pxm 0-80 Degrees
pxf 0-90 Degrees

all Celsius and all below boiling temp.

PX%2520series_02.jpg

I've used iwaki and panworld for aquarium apps, and have had each run for more than 5 years continuously. They are good pumps. I wonder if they make pumpheads that are 100C+ rated?

I'm surprised there are not cheaper peristaltic pumps out there - they are very simple. I had a small one for labwork, and it was expensive, but was also very accurate, something we don't really need for brewing. Maybe a must pump could work?

I called Panworld and they're not rated to 100C. The rep said it's an error on the website. 60C, 80C, and 90C depending on the model, and the 40PX-F is >$400.

I bought an Iwaki 15 pump 100Volt(Japan) for $20. It gets pretty warm on 110Volts, and it is volumetrically just fine. The Iwaki site says to 180 degrees F. I also just bought 2 - 110Volt Iwaki 20's for $30. They are bigger volume and head also 180 degrees. I will use my new March 815 for the BKettle and Iwakis for 2 other pumps and have a spare. Careful to do good cleaning and beware some were used in photo processing and very dark (likely silver oxide?). Mine all were very clean looking, sterilized and tested for taste. All seems good.
FYI, Jim

Back