(Sniffle, sniffle) Had to dump it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFBEER

Reaction score
My very first attempt at cider and I had to dump it last night. I started over a month ago but didn't pay close enough attention to the label when I purchased my juice. It contain just enough sorbate to stop the fermentation. I tried using enough yeast to brew 15 batches of beer. I added yeast nutrient, I played with the temperature, I even spoke kind loving words to it but after almost 2 months the gravity had only drop from 1060 to 1052. It was starting to get a weird flavour and a strange colour. :confused:

So I dumped it.

Good news I did start again with a great juice from an organic no preservative added cider. Mmmm this one will work. :mug:

That's why I only make cider once a year, with fresh cider, from a local orchard, that is only UV treated.
Sorry for you loss. :(

hmm, I'm getting in the same boat I think. Started cider treated with potassium sorbate and my air lock has not moved once. My batch still smells good but I am thinking it will be dumped as well. Good news is I found a cider mill that sells unpasteurized, preservative free cider today. I think I might try a o-natural batch this time.

My first batch made it slightly further in the process but it's now carbed to a dangerous level and doesn't taste good, I guess everyone loses their first batch.

Back