Love The Hanks Hef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RecruitNBrew

Reaction score
For my first brew after a long awaited return to the hobby, I chose the Hanks Hefeweizen from Midwest, with the Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068. I popped open a test bottle after only one week of carbing and it is PERFECT. I wanted a bavarian style hef ala Weihenstephaner Hefe Weiss, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Based on advice in the forums, I kept the ferm temp around 62-64 to focus on more of the clove taste. It took 3 weeks to ferment out (maybe because of the lower temp??). I also did a full wort boil.

Hanks Hef is a Homerun!!
I will definitely revisit this one.

Next up is California Steam Beer....Wish me luck

sounds great, do you have a link to the recipe?

also I have a steam beer, California Common, in my secondary right now. Great minds think alike.

I did this one for my 3rd brew. I added four oranges (made a half gallon tea with them) to the fermentor, including the zest, and i cannot tell you how much people love it. Mine got a banana taste and a citrus after taste it is just a very good beer!:ban:

I did this one for my 3rd brew. I added four oranges (made a half gallon tea with them) to the fermentor, including the zest, and i cannot tell you how much people love it. Mine got a banana taste and a citrus after taste it is just a very good beer!:ban:

This sounds great. How did you do the half gallon tea with four oranges?

The Orange Hef sounds like a winner. I just tried a beer from Indian Wells Brewing Company (In California) called Orange Blossom Amber Lager (despite the name, there is no honey added) and it is definitely one of the best "warm weather" brews I have ever tried. They add orange peels during the boil to get the right flavor. It has no added sweetness, just an awesome orange essence that doesn't overwhelm. I'm gonna try to replicate it in the near future.

Back