apfelwein yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfurlly

Reaction score
went to lhbs, did not have the correct yeast. they gave me lalvin ec-1118. should i use it or try to locate the right yeast elsewhere??

thanks

Nope, that yeast works great too. I've used it with my apfelwein before and it tastes great. Starts to clear at about the 4 week mark, and it's crystal clear by 6 weeks. Attenuates down below 1.000...I think my last one was .998.

Agreed -my first batch of Apfelwein was made with EC-1118.
good stuff -of 35 bottles, I have 2 left... go for it.

i went ahead and used it! maybe ill try and order some of the right stuff in for the next batch.:mug:

after a few batches under your belt... you'll realize there is no "right" or "wrong" yeast. - my first attempt was INSPIRED by Edwort's recipe - but due to not having access to Dextrose - and not having Montrachet on hand - I used turbinado Sugar and EC-1118. and I discovered a whole new realm of tastyness with the turbinado sugar (mollasses/rum notes)

I've had good results with both EC-1118, and Montrachet.
I'm currently brewing a batch of Safale 04 to see if it comes out a little more sweet (For SWMBO)

I think I prefer EC-1118. Very clean tasting. Very quick to ferment and clear. Only down-side is that it needs a blow-off tube... even in my 55-60 degree ferm temp.

I think I prefer EC-1118. Very clean tasting. Very quick to ferment and clear. Only down-side is that it needs a blow-off tube... even in my 55-60 degree ferm temp.

Interesting, it's never needed a blowoff tube when I ferment. Actually, interesting story with my batch back on Jan 24 (ed's AW day!). For the first time ever, this batch developed a good 1-2" krausen. My previous batches had a thin 1/4" layer of bubbles, but nothing that could be called a krausen. THEN, I put together another batch a couple days ago...and no krausen at all. In fact, when I get close to the carboy I can HEAR it! I mean, it sounds like I just poured a soda out and it effervescing....strange apfelwein behaviors! No krausen or bubbles on top at all, but tons of bubbles running up the side lots of little ones coming to the surface. ?

Whenever I use 1118 it leaves the wine with a funky/musty odor/flavor.

I add some potassium sorbate (stbilizer) after fermentation is complete and it removes the funk from it resulting in a nice light dry wine flavor. :D

Back