Good florida beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good florida beers?....Now there are three words I never expected to see in the same sentence! (Just kidding, I have no idea) :)

OK let me rephrase that any good beers avaiable in florida that I should be trying. I'm from canada and the price of beer is somewhere between stupid and painful. I haven't really tried many beers and would like to try a few good ones while I'm there.

OK let me rephrase that any good beers avaiable in florida that I should be trying. I'm from canada and the price of beer is somewhere between stupid and painful. I haven't really tried many beers and would like to try a few good ones while I'm there.

I go there once or twice a year and whenever I ask for something other than miller light they act like I'm an idiot. Down there amberbock is supposed to be a high end great beer. I did get some type of kona beer I liked once and when I ordered it again at a different bar they gave me something totally different. I asked both places what "type" of beer it was and they say it's kona.:drunk: Good luck.

If you haven't tried anything from Bell's Brewery (Michigan based) it might be worth looking checking out. I think its pretty rare down there to say the least but you can find it using this link:

Bell's Brewery: Beer Finder

Yes...Key West Beer's...I loved their Sunset Ale when I lived there.

KEY WEST BEER

And Ybor's as well.

ybor_page

Where in Florida are you going?

If you are heading down into the key's stop take the Card Sound route and stop in at a place called Alabama Jack's for a Key West Amber and a plate of Conch Fritters.
Alabama Jack's - Welcome

Conched_out_at_Alabama_Jacks.jpg

Anything goes here and usually does. In fact, anything's been going here for more than 50 years. An eclectic crowd populates this spot in Key Largo, and a similarly eclectic crowd drops in to watch the eclectic crowd. They are a mix of retirees, boaters, kids...well, just about everyone who is near. Locally made Key West Lager and Sunset Ale are popular, abetted by conch fritters, steamed shrimp and similar munchies. The fare is light, as is the atmosphere. On weekends, there is a live band at this popular spot in the mangrove swamps.

"Floating on two roadside barges in an old fishing community 13 mi southeast of Homestead is this weathered open-air seafood restaurant. Regular customers include Keys characters, Sunday cyclists, local retirees, and boaters, who come to admire tropical birds in the nearby mangroves, the occasional crocodile in the canal, or the live band on weekends. The menu has traditional Keys dishes like cracked and fried conch, fish sandwiches, burgers, fries, salads, and lots of beer. The crabcakes, made from local blue crabs, are exceptional. Jack's closes by 7 or 7:30, when the skeeters come out.

To me it's the only good thing in that god forsaken piece of hell on earth (I hated living in Florida)

Here's the Fodor's review

Alabama Jack's Review | Florida Keys | Fodor's Restaurant Reviews

I visited Florida for a long weekend with the girlfriend at the beginning of June and was also interested in trying to try some beers I couldn't get here in Illinois. I did find it difficult to locate information on brands, but when I found the information for Total Wine it became a must see destination. Total Wine has a huge single bottle area, and a great wine selection. Definitely check the best before dates on some of the singles, but all in all they have great service.

I searched out and would recommend Lectio Divina and Saison Athene by Saint Somewhere Brewing Company in Tarpon Springs, I know the Total Wine in Naples carried those two.

Alabama Jacks is teh shiet! they close early though, so go for lunch. As far as beer...lol, total wine is really all you got. Orlando and north is where you start to get away from BMC.

You should stop in at McGuires in Pensacola. Also look for a bottled beer called Emerald Coast. Also if you drive about two hours east of Pensacola to Panama City they have a new place called Pier Park and they have a Hofbrau Beer Garden that is really nice.

Florida is going great I tried a couple of micros last night at dinner.....not from florida

Full sail brewing sessions amber. I liked this it was easy to drink i could have drank myself into a comma

I also tried my first stout it was a shipyard bluefin stout. I didn't really like this beer is was really smoky. Has anyone else tried this beer? Is this normally what a stout will taste like? I don't want to give up on stouts too soon.

You could try BJ's Brewpub and Restaurant in Orlando, right off of I4. It is a chain and they don't brew at this branch...their brew is still a winner in my book. I'd drive the hour it takes me each weekend if I could. :drunk:

You could make a trek over to Yuengling in Tampa/St. Pete area. I took that tour recently and marveled at the 50gal drums of caramel coloring. :eek: Of course they didn't point them out...lol I was recently told they use a 60/40 mix of corn syrup/malt. Anybody care to confirm?

You could try BJ's Brewpub and Restaurant in Orlando, right off of I4. It is a chain and they don't brew at this branch...their brew is still a winner in my book. I'd drive the hour it takes me each weekend if I could. :drunk:

You could make a trek over to Yuengling in Tampa/St. Pete area. I took that tour recently and marveled at the 50gal drums of caramel coloring. :eek: Of course they didn't point them out...lol I was recently told they use a 60/40 mix of corn syrup/malt. Anybody care to confirm?

I wish I had seen this yesterday :( I'm flying home today and won't have the time to make it to tampa. I asked around yesterday for some good places to check out everyone looked at me like I was crazy, I guess they aren't used to people asking for anything other than mickey mouse.

Back