I put hops in too early. Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggriffi

Reaction score
I am brewing BM Centennial Ale and messed up and put my 2nd addition of Centennial (.25 oz.) hops in too early and they will be in for 40 mins instead of 20. Is this going to make it too hoppy or will it work out?

Dump it. Just kidding. Instead of being a flavor addition, it will be more of a bittering addition. See this chart:
46323.jpg

It won't be exactly what you wanted, but I'm sure it will still be fine.

Thanks reverndj1. Good thing you put the just kidding right after the dump it part!

Hey Reverendj1, cool chart. Where'd you get that? If it's accurate, it looks like flavor additions peak at about 20 minutes, which I kinda knew. What suprised me a bit was the aroma additions peaking at about 8 minutes. I always thought of aroma dissipating almost immediately so usually do a knock out addition. Maybe that's why I often feel like my aroma hops fall a bit short....

I've seen it often repeated here. From what I've been able to find, it was originally from brewsupplies.com, which doesn't appear to be anything anymore. I wouldn't take it as gospel, since from my understanding, hop varieties, gravity, etc. also play a role, which this is obviously not taking into account. With aroma/flameout additions, if you remove them during cooldown and the time it takes to chill, etc. would also probably play a role. But as a general guide, I'm sure it's an okay.

Back