wiring a small fan into my mini fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
I built a fermentation chamber out of a small mini fridge and have a few questions. First off, is it necessary? What kind of fan should i use (brands/model #)? Also most importantly, How do i wire it and attach it correctly? If you have one let me know and post a photo if poss. Thank you for your input. -Cheers

I use a small PC fan that runs on 12VDC, it does help move the air around and keep the temp more uniform. With the PC fan, you just need a 12VDC power supply...from an old cell phone or something. There are just 2 wires to connect up and it doesn't really matter which ones you use. Then plug it in or wire it in with your temp controller so it runs with the fridge.

Does the amperage of the cell phone charger matter? I have ones but they are all in the 500ma range. Wondering if that will be enough to turn the fan fast enough to get good flow. I also wouldn't want to overpower the fan and have it burn out on me!

Kaz said:
I use a small PC fan that runs on 12VDC, it does help move the air around and keep the temp more uniform. With the PC fan, you just need a 12VDC power supply...from an old cell phone or something. There are just 2 wires to connect up and it doesn't really matter which ones you use. Then plug it in or wire it in with your temp controller so it runs with the fridge.

Thank you. This should help alot.

Another option is just getting a desk fan for a couple bucks. Runs off of regular 110 so you can just plug it in or wire it with your temperature controller. I noticed less foamy pours when I did this in my mini fridge.

Back